Questions on large IDE drive (secondary HD)

Questions on large IDE drive (secondary HD)

Post by David A. Cuthbe » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 01:54:28

Quote:>I'm currently moving linux to my secondary drive, an 800Mb conner.

>Problem 1:
>While fdisking (v 1.5), I put on a 32Mb swap, a 50Mb root, and the
>rest as native linux (which I was planning on mounting as /usr).
>Printing a partition list resulted in fdisk telling me the
>physical/logical endings of my third, large partition were different.
>The physical end was at cylinder 547, while the logical ended at 1572.
>This is a rather large difference.  Is this a problem?  It sure looks
>like one.

Yes.  There's a bug in fdisk, and there's a fix floating around.  I can't
remember where it is (let me know if you find it).

I got errors saying "odd number of sectors" &c when I fdisk'ed my new 345MB
drive.  I think that I have a few unused sectors now as a result (hasn't
affected me... yet).

Quote:>Problem 2:
>I don't want a set limit on /home, so I want /home to be a soft link to
>/usr/home (where all the space will be).  How do I go about that?
>For some reason, my man pages on ln are a bit sparse.  And how do I
>deal with stuff that's already in /home?  mv it to /usr/home before I
>do any linking?

mkdir /usr/home
ln -s /usr/home /home

Better yet, to ensure that such links are followed properly through NFS
(in case you forget to set the NFS flag that converts / to equivalent
numbers of ../):

mkdir /usr/home
cd /
ln -s ./usr/home home

I dealt with the stuff in /home in a different way.  My / partition is larger,
so I left most of the home directories in /home, created /usr/home, moved
/home/ftp to /usr/home/ftp, and

cd /home
ln -s ../usr/home/ftp ftp

I left the other directories intact.

Unfortunately, Linux does not have automount (which -- someone correct me if
I'm wrong -- I believe is how CCO gets your home directory to magically
appear in /home without permanent symlinks no matter what computer you're on).

[Other problems]
Not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but it sounds complicated enough
that I shouldn't try to answer it without my system in front of me.  :-(
--
David A. Cuthbert        "You will join me for dinner; that's NOT a request!"

Post by John Carlos Whi » Fri, 29 Jul 1994 22:45:14

[...]

Problem 3:
How do I change Lilo to be on the master boot record, so I don't need
a linux partition on my primary disk?  Can I just use setup to start
from scratch once my secondary drive has all the linux stuff I want?

Problem 4:
What is it exactly that I need to change in /etc/fstab to reflect the
fact that my linux material is on /dev/hdb?

Well, I'll be thankful for all the help I can get!

John
--
John White

L.A. Kings Cup in '95!  L.A. Lakers - Draft in '95!

Post by Mark Lo » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 02:37:55

>Problem 1:
>While fdisking (v 1.5), I put on a 32Mb swap, a 50Mb root, and the
>rest as native linux (which I was planning on mounting as /usr).
>Printing a partition list resulted in fdisk telling me the
>physical/logical endings of my third, large partition were different.
>The physical end was at cylinder 547, while the logical ended at 1572.
>This is a rather large difference.  Is this a problem?  It sure looks
>like one.

Naw.. just fdisk complaining that MSDOS might get confused if you
were to try accessing that partition from it.  (1572 - 1024) = 548
It doesn't seem to bother anything under linux, at least not on my system.

--

Post by Kevin Grein » Mon, 01 Aug 1994 21:27:42

>>Problem 1:
>>While fdisking (v 1.5), I put on a 32Mb swap, a 50Mb root, and the
>>rest as native linux (which I was planning on mounting as /usr).
>>Printing a partition list resulted in fdisk telling me the
>>physical/logical endings of my third, large partition were different.
>>The physical end was at cylinder 547, while the logical ended at 1572.
>>This is a rather large difference.  Is this a problem?  It sure looks
>>like one.

>Naw.. just fdisk complaining that MSDOS might get confused if you
>were to try accessing that partition from it.  (1572 - 1024) = 548
>It doesn't seem to bother anything under linux, at least not on my system.

On the other hand, I ignored this problem and lost an entire file system as a
result.  It appears that fdisk doesn't alway mask the end partition correctly.
What you should do is re-run fdisk after rebooting.  Everything is OK if
the verify command reports the different physical/logical ending but no
other problems.

In my case, setting the end cylinder to 1170 mangled the partition's start
cylinder (531 instead of 537).  This lead to the filesystem's superblock
being placed IN my swap partition.

You do have an option if fdisk is corrupting your partition table.  I
found that 'cfdisk' in the util-linux (1.6 or higher) handled my partition
table correctly.

Sites for util-linux are:
Site1        = ftp.cs.unc.edu
Path1        = /pub/faith/linux/utils
File1        = util-linux-1.6.tar.gz util-linux-1.6.bin.tar.gz
FileSize1    = 544k for source distribution and 395k for binary distirbution
Site2        = tsx-11.mit.edu
Path2        = /pub/linux/{sources,binaries}/sbin
Site3        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path3        = /pub/Linux/system/Admin

See util-linux-*.lsm for more details.

Kevin

1. IDE drives on the secondary IDE bus

Hi:

I have been thinking about adding a third IDE drive to my (old) 486 machine.
My multi-io card (a VESA) has a port for the secondary IDE, but is disabled
right now via one of the card's  jumpers.

I have 2 basic questions:

1-I do not have an hdc or hdd device in my /dev directory.  Does anyone know
the magic numbers for mknod for these devices?

2-The bios on my machine pre-dates secondary IDE - does this matter?  I intend
to use hdc as an ex2fs  mountable partition (not a root or boot partition), so
the only question is would the Linux kernel be able to access it without bios
support?

I am running a version 2.0.7 kernel.

Many thanks,

Nick.
--
Nick van Stigt, Waverley, NS, Canada.

Note: Return address has been altered to deter spam

2. UK vacancies - Support Tools/ NT

3. Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

4. How funny.

5. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

6. TCP/IP performance parameters

7. Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

8. setsockopt problem

9. INSTALLING ON SECONDARY HD (IDE)

10. Help needed installing onto secondary IDE controller HD

11. Large IDE drive, old BIOS question

12. Using a Large Drive on a secondary controller (solved)!

13. HD Error Question with IDE Drives