ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Nigel Bov » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 12:52:22

Ok. System setup.

linux 1.1.52
ftape 1.13b + irq-dma patches
modutils from sunsite (yesterday) so should be up to date :)
Colorado 250mb Jumbo tape backup unit.

Problem. It works great as long as I DON'T try to read from the tape or write
to the tape. I've got sick of retensioning and rewinding and have decided to
move onto something else, namely backing up the machine.

As you can imagine this is a little annoying. I checked out the
/var/adm/messages and it finds the drive ok, but it says the below.

fdc-isr.c (determine_progress) -  Error at sector offset 0.
fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) - single crc error in data.
fdc-isr.c (determine_progress) - Error at sector offset 2.
fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) - too many errors, must retry
ftape-rw.c (ftape_smart_stop) - tape stopped passing segment: 0.

and then continues repeating these same error messages in the same order over
and over and over again.

I thought the tape might have been stuffed so I ran the colorado tape program
and (in dos) and it said the tape was fine, eg blank, (we had refomated it
before using it with the Linux Machine). So we tried a backup on it and
it worked fine. (in dos)

went back to linux and the same thing over and over again.

I read in the Install-guide that on the older version there was a conflict
with network cards (or may still be not sure if this has been fixed or not)
so I riped out the network card but no difference.

I've run out of ideas and hope that someone has an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel.
--
/ ---------------------------------------------------------------- \
| Nigel Bovey                        |  Williams/Renault Rules !!! |

| Christchurch, New Zealand          |          GNU Generation!    |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------- |
|     Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?        |
\ ---------------------------------------------------------------- /

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Shaune Beatt » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:04:55

: Problem. It works great as long as I DON'T try to read from the tape or write
: to the tape. I've got sick of retensioning and rewinding and have decided to
: move onto something else, namely backing up the machine.

: As you can imagine this is a little annoying. I checked out the
: /var/adm/messages and it finds the drive ok, but it says the below.

: fdc-isr.c (determine_progress) -  Error at sector offset 0.
: fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) - single crc error in data.
: fdc-isr.c (determine_progress) - Error at sector offset 2.
: fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) - too many errors, must retry
: ftape-rw.c (ftape_smart_stop) - tape stopped passing segment: 0.

thought, have you tried  mt erase... apparently sometimes a formatted tape
isn't good enough.. you need to initialise it for linux i suppose... not
quite sure but it works for me :)

|Snail:                  |Email: (choose one of)     |Tel: +44(0)223 501878   |

|Cambridge CB2 1RL       |                           |I need a better sig :)  |

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Nigel Bov » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 18:38:35

: thought, have you tried  mt erase... apparently sometimes a formatted tape
: isn't good enough.. you need to initialise it for linux i suppose... not
: quite sure but it works for me :)

Yip, tried that, as I say, as soon as we start, try to read or write to the
tape it dies with the formentioned errors.

I normally get things up and running in the end but only have the tape drive
on loan for a short while to give me a chance to back up all my hard work. Any
other ideas??

Thanks for the previous Idea though, but as I say, no go with that one either.

--
/ ---------------------------------------------------------------- \
| Nigel Bovey                        |  Williams/Renault Rules !!! |

| Christchurch, New Zealand          |          GNU Generation!    |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------- |
|     Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?        |
\ ---------------------------------------------------------------- /

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 06:18:46

Quote:>and then continues repeating these same error messages in the same order over
>and over and over again.
>I've run out of ideas and hope that someone has an idea.

I've had more or less the same experience,
and have come to the conclusion that ftape
is in urgent need of a brain transplant.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by FranzJosef Knelang » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 06:12:12

: : thought, have you tried  mt erase... apparently sometimes a formatted tape
: : isn't good enough.. you need to initialise it for linux i suppose... not
: : quite sure but it works for me :)

: Yip, tried that, as I say, as soon as we start, try to read or write to the
: tape it dies with the formentioned errors.

: I normally get things up and running in the end but only have the tape drive
: on loan for a short while to give me a chance to back up all my hard work. Any
My experience: DON'T use tape.exe, it (apparently) does not mark bad blocks!!!
The tape-utils from my old pc-tools 7.1 DO, and after formatting tapes with it
AND doint a mt -f /... erase I never got such messages again.

Shame on HP's programmers ? / Hope that helps: FJK

: other ideas??

: Thanks for the previous Idea though, but as I say, no go with that one either.

: --
: / ---------------------------------------------------------------- \
: | Nigel Bovey                        |  Williams/Renault Rules !!! |

: | Christchurch, New Zealand          |          GNU Generation!    |
: | ---------------------------------------------------------------- |
: |     Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?        |
: \ ---------------------------------------------------------------- /

--

Voice:    0761-39479  | Voice: 0761-203-3241 | To Read: J. Cabrera Infante,
FAX: +49 761-39479    | FAX: +49761-203-3355 | Drei traurige Tiger (st 1714)

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Dennis Flaher » Sat, 22 Oct 1994 12:56:23

> >and then continues repeating these same error messages in the same
> >and order over over and over again.
> >I've run out of ideas and hope that someone has an idea.

> I've had more or less the same experience,
> and have come to the conclusion that ftape
> is in urgent need of a brain transplant.

> --
> Timothy Murphy

> tel: +353-1-2842366

Thank you very much, Tim; your help and comments are always well
appreciated by all.

--

    Oatmeal Stout: It's the Right Thing to Drink!

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 02:20:20

Quote:>> >and then continues repeating these same error messages in the same
>> >and order over over and over again.
>> >I've run out of ideas and hope that someone has an idea.

>> I've had more or less the same experience,
>> and have come to the conclusion that ftape
>> is in urgent need of a brain transplant.

>Thank you very much, Tim; your help and comments are always well
>appreciated by all.

OK I'll put it less nicely.

In my view ftape is not sufficiently well-developed
to be considered a standard part of Linux.
It should be distributed as beta-code,
so that anyone using it would be aware
that it might well not work.

But when it comes as part of a system
which works as well as Linux,
it simply "lets the side down".
One is naturally led to wonder if other parts of the system
might fail to the same degree.

I feel somewhat similarly about getty = getty_ps,
at least for dialling-in.
But in that case, fortunately, there is a good alternative, mgetty.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

ftape, ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post by John Lell » Sat, 22 Oct 1994 23:29:05

: I thought the tape might have been stuffed so I ran the colorado tape program
: and (in dos) and it said the tape was fine, eg blank, (we had refomated it
: before using it with the Linux Machine). So we tried a backup on it and
: it worked fine. (in dos)

: went back to linux and the same thing over and over again.

I had similar problems until I stumbled upon a solution which worked for me -
first format the tape under DOS using TAPE.EXE (use version 4.03 or later;
version 2.54 wouldn't work for me) and then it would work under Linux.  Tapes
which were preformatted also didn't work with Linux (though they did under DOS).

I've also heard of people who have had problems using some FD/HD controllers.
What kind of hardware have you got the tape drive connected to?

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

1. problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

Hi,

   I just installed Linux 2.0.0 on my machine; upgrading from a
previous version.  Before I installed the new version, I tar'd
the old version out to tape.  I installed a new kernel that
had ftape support, and have verified that I also installed the
ftape package.

   When I try to see what's on the tape, using:

      tar tvf /dev/ftape

I see the msg "Can't open /dev/ftape  No such device".  I checked the
/dev directory, and ftape is set up as a link to /dev/rft0, which is
set up as a char mode device.  The permissions for /dev/rft0 are set
at crw-r-----.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this msg?

   I looked at the man pages for tar and mt, as well as the FAQ and
HOWTO for ftape, but saw nothing that looked similar to this.  I'm
guessing this is a general unix issue, which, being a newbie, has me
baffled....

2. ms playground talk

3. ftape: no /dev/ftape or other

4. Comptone IntelliServer 1.3.0n HELP!!!!!!!

5. Ftape would say /dev/ftape <no such device>

6. Reading Date Stamp

7. Ftape : "Timer Expired" on /dev/ftape problem

8. Where to download RH7 for Alpha in the UK

9. Ftape 2.02 hangs /dev/ftape - leaves afio running

10. insmod ftape:Initialization of ftape failed

11. MT with ftape 2.11a and ftape 3.02

12. FTAPE installed but tar: /dev/ftape doesn't exist

13. HP T1000e parallel port drive, ftape modules, compilation of FTAPE