Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

Post by Gerard L Lano » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 02:12:04

I successfully performed a UMSDOS install of the Slackware distribution
(from floppy disks A,AP,Q,U) on my laptop:
   Epson 4SLC/25  (486 25MHz)
   4Mb RAM
   120 MB HD

After the installation completed, it prompted me to create a boot floppy,
which I did (and have re-tried several times, but to no avail).

This boot floppy does not boot - the computer goes through the POST, spins
the floppy once, then just sits there dead in the water.

BTW, I formatted this floppy under DOS both with and without /S;  it didn't
make any difference.

BTW also, I am trying to use the idekern kernel (at least until I can get
a regular boot off my boot floppy).

Any ideas?  The Installation-HOWTO isn't very specific about this kind of
problem.

Question:  If I were to boot using the installation boot/root disks, and
           did an "ls" on this troubled boot floppy, what (if anything)
           should I see?

Many thanks!

-Gerard

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. LILO: Map segment is too big. ????

3. RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

4. Where Is StarOffice4?

5. 1.4.2 boot floppy won't boot

6. Linux/XP network with Crossover cable

7. Newbie: Slackware: Setup: Configure Won't Work, How can I create a boot disk?

8. Interesting article: "Beating Bill"

9. Linux floppy won't boot, DOS floppy will

10. Can't complete install of Slakware, won't make boot floppy

11. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

12. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

13. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***