Installing Mandrake from pcmcia Adaptec 1460 card w/ SCSI cd-rom (works in RedHat!)

Installing Mandrake from pcmcia Adaptec 1460 card w/ SCSI cd-rom (works in RedHat!)

Post by Jeremy Wel » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:21:26

I have a laptop whose internal CD-ROM drive does not like to read
CD-Rs. This problem makes it somewhat difficult to do a Linux install.
I have an Adaptec 1460c pcmcia SCSI card, however, connected to an HP
m840e external SCSI CD-R. I am able to boot from a floppy and install
RedHat 7.3 without any problems from the SCSI CD-R. RedHat uses two
floppies to do this: one loads the kernel and interface and the other
floppy loads the drivers.

I have tried to do the same thing with Mandrake 8.2 without success. I
have attempted to boot from the pcmcia, cd-rom, network, and "other"
floppy images provided on the install CD-ROM. None of them allow me to
have access to the SCSI CD-R. The pcmcia boot floppy presents the
option for loading the aha_152x driver, but selecting it does nothing.

I rather like Mandrake and would like to get it installed instead of
RedHat. Is there an easy way to accomplish this without having to
compile a new custom kernel and edit a million configuration files? I
have this dream of only spending a few days getting this thing working
instead of a few weeks.

TIA,

-Jeremy

1. RedHat Install problem; can't find Adaptec 2940 CD-ROM SCSI card

I'm trying to install Linux 1.2.13 from the CD accompanying the
O'Reilly Linux books.

I've followed the install instructions to the point where it's
looking to install stuff off the CD-ROM but complains that it can't
find the CD-ROM. ( SCSI card is Adaptec 2940)

I've tried boot0033.img and boot0035.img without success. The doco
refers to a aha274x device driver for the card but it's unclear from
the RedHat doco which of the 19 or so images has that driver (sigh).

Any ideas ? I've browsed the readme's without enlightenment.

My clone is PCI-based. DOS/Windows can access the CD-ROM OK.

- Gary

2. help with microsoft bus mouse and mitsumi ide cdrom

3. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

4. Problem of 2 NIC in Ultra 10

5. Adaptec 1460-B Slimline Scsi PCMCIA

6. Remote TAR command is not working the way I want

7. Mount file as filesystem

8. Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux

9. Adaptec 1480 or 1460 pcmcia scsi

10. Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA SCSI...?

11. Adaptec 1460 (APA1460A) PCMCIA SCSI