Looking for a Motherboard to run Linux...

Looking for a Motherboard to run Linux...

Post by Eduardo Corre » Fri, 01 Apr 1994 02:17:15

Hello,

        I am in the process in buying a New Motherboard to run
Linux... Someone offered me the following :

A Tyan 486 EISA/VESA motherboard which has Pentium P24-T ZIF socket
that takes any 486, should support dx4 w/ a voltage adapter socket, 2
VESA slots, 8 EISA slots (6 bus mastering), jumpered cpu clock speed
settings, cache size up to 1MB, comes w/ 256k cache, takes up to 256M
w/ 16 30 pin simm slots, SIS chipset, Dallas real time clock onboard,
AMI BIOS.

        Has anyone used Linux in a such a Board or similar one ??? Do
you think that the new Intel DX4 would run Linux with no problem ???
Is the price of $715 for Board + DX2-66 a good price ???

        I have also heard rumours that with the coming of the Pentium
DX4 and PCI in force in April we should see a sharp drop in prices for
the DX2-66 and for the EISA motherboards... Do you think I shoud wait
one or two more weeks ???

        I am open to any sugestions to other EISA/VLB DX2-66
Motherboards that anyone have tried with Linux and is happy with...
        The capability to support the new Intel DX4 is important and
if anyone has already tried such a configuration the sharing of their
experience would be highly appreciated 8-)

Please answer by E-mail because my News server is very slow in
receiving new articles... I will gladly repost the relevant answers I
happen to receive to this question ;-)

Thanks...
Manuel Eduardo C. D. Correia
Centro de Informatica da Universidade do Porto (CIUP),
Rua do Campo Alegre, 823, 4100 Porto, PORTUGAL
Tel: (351-02) 600 1672, Ext: 113, Fax: (351-02) 600 3654,

=============================== OR ==============================================
Eduardo Correia
Department of Computer Science,
Box 30001, dept C. S.
New Mexico State University,
Las Cruces,
New Mexico 88003

Tel: 1-505-6464054

1. Can Linux run on a dual motherboard

Well, look at the first few lines off the root Makefile:-

#
# For SMP kernels, set this. We don't want to have this in the config
file
# because it makes re-config very ugly and too many fundamental files
depend
# on "CONFIG_SMP"
#
# NOTE! SMP is experimental. See the file Documentation/SMP.txt
#
SMP = 1
#
# SMP profiling options
# SMP_PROF = 1

Esentially, if you uncomment the line SMP=1 then it does do SMP, yes...
It is experimental, but it works for me (tm).

James

2. Can't Login as ROOT - Urgent Problem!!

3. Does Linux run on Diamond Fastbus Motherboards????

4. Ethernet Setup on OSU's Resnet

5. Info on ALI729 motherboard running Linux

6. pppd and Digiboard PC/8e

7. Can I run Linux on my Intel motherboard?

8. ALT-TAB to circulate down?

9. Will the FuGuTech motherboard run Linux?

10. Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard

11. upgraded motherboard -- linux running very slowly

12. Does Linux runs on a DIAMOND FASTBUS motherboard???

13. Anybody run Linux on the ASUS 486 PCI Motherboard