having trouble getting sound working...

Post by Merlin Zene » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:09:03

G'day,

just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

Well you guessed it, no sound; the mp3 player starts and the
display bounces like it's playing, the CD player counts ok,
VCDs play without sound...
Please "give me a clue"(tm) as to where to start.
I'm totally new at this, and kind of overwhelmed by the amount
of reading to be done [even for the basics! :) ]

I went straight to the Mandrake site and searched on "sound"
- it said to do lspcidrake at the command prompt: no listing
of any sound card. No surprise there, I suppose.
Reading further, [search for troubleshooting] leads to another
doc: "Troubleshooting sound of music" which says to do a
command "sndconfig"
But that returns a "command not found".

Digging into the sound-howto doc leads me to look at my
/lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/
[although of course in my case it's actually
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ ] to see if my
soundcard is there; it's not.

At this stage [do I need to be rebuilding the kernel?] I thought
I'd appeal to the greater wisdom - hopefully someone else has
been through this already, any hints or pointers will be very
very much appreciated.

TIA :)

--

Piano and Synthesizer                 http://www.merlinzener.com
Noosa, Australia

"No-one ever went blind from looking on the bright side of life"

having trouble getting sound working...

Post by Zebee Johnsto » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:25:22

In aus.computers.linux on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:09:03 GMT

>G'day,

>just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
>a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

I find that the quickest way to resolve sound problems is to go to
www.opensound.com and try their driver.

You can download for free, but it cuts out after a certain while, or
buy the thing, it's pretty cheap.

Worth trying, if it solved the problem, it's worth the money.

Zebee

Post by Brian Mc Kinne » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:34:36

> G'day,

> just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
> a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

> Well you guessed it, no sound; the mp3 player starts and the
> display bounces like it's playing, the CD player counts ok,
> VCDs play without sound...
> Please "give me a clue"(tm) as to where to start.
> I'm totally new at this, and kind of overwhelmed by the amount
> of reading to be done [even for the basics! :) ]

> I went straight to the Mandrake site and searched on "sound"
> - it said to do lspcidrake at the command prompt: no listing
> of any sound card. No surprise there, I suppose.
> Reading further, [search for troubleshooting] leads to another
> doc: "Troubleshooting sound of music" which says to do a
> command "sndconfig"
> But that returns a "command not found".

> Digging into the sound-howto doc leads me to look at my
> /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/
> [although of course in my case it's actually
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ ] to see if my
> soundcard is there; it's not.

> At this stage [do I need to be rebuilding the kernel?] I thought
> I'd appeal to the greater wisdom - hopefully someone else has
> been through this already, any hints or pointers will be very
> very much appreciated.

> TIA :)

Mandrake sets the volume level at zero as default
Open the sound mixer on Multimedia ---> Sound ---> Sound Mixer
A little speaker icon appears on youe taskbar.
right click on it and choose restore.
Set the volumes until you are satisfied and then set these new volumes
as default
Brian

Post by Merlin Zene » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:31:50

> > G'day,

> > just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
> > a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

> > Well you guessed it, no sound; the mp3 player starts and the
> > display bounces like it's playing, the CD player counts ok,
> > VCDs play without sound...
> > Please "give me a clue"(tm) as to where to start.
> > I'm totally new at this, and kind of overwhelmed by the amount
> > of reading to be done [even for the basics! :) ]

> > I went straight to the Mandrake site and searched on "sound"
> > - it said to do lspcidrake at the command prompt: no listing
> > of any sound card. No surprise there, I suppose.
> > Reading further, [search for troubleshooting] leads to another
> > doc: "Troubleshooting sound of music" which says to do a
> > command "sndconfig"
> > But that returns a "command not found".

> > Digging into the sound-howto doc leads me to look at my
> > /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/
> > [although of course in my case it's actually
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ ] to see if my
> > soundcard is there; it's not.

> > At this stage [do I need to be rebuilding the kernel?] I thought
> > I'd appeal to the greater wisdom - hopefully someone else has
> > been through this already, any hints or pointers will be very
> > very much appreciated.

> > TIA :)

> Mandrake sets the volume level at zero as default
> Open the sound mixer on Multimedia ---> Sound ---> Sound Mixer
> A little speaker icon appears on youe taskbar.
> right click on it and choose restore.
> Set the volumes until you are satisfied and then set these new volumes
> as default
> Brian

G'day Brian,
Thanks for the thought.

But that's not it - rightclick does nothing. Doubleclick,
however, on the speaker brings up a sound mixer window which
is completely blank, and after a while an error message appears:

"Error while initializing the sound driver:
device:/dev/dsp can't be opened (invalid argument)"

Back at the command line, ls while in /dev shows that dsp
doesn't indeed exist.
Seems to me the Mandrake install failed to detect the card and
install the proper driver; the question now becomes, how do I
go about finding the right driver, and then installing it?

--

Post by Troy Dac » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:00:06

>> > G'day,

>> > just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
>> > a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

>> > Well you guessed it, no sound; the mp3 player starts and the
>> > display bounces like it's playing, the CD player counts ok,
>> > VCDs play without sound...
>> > Please "give me a clue"(tm) as to where to start.
>> > I'm totally new at this, and kind of overwhelmed by the amount
>> > of reading to be done [even for the basics! :) ]

>> > I went straight to the Mandrake site and searched on "sound"
>> > - it said to do lspcidrake at the command prompt: no listing
>> > of any sound card. No surprise there, I suppose.
>> > Reading further, [search for troubleshooting] leads to another
>> > doc: "Troubleshooting sound of music" which says to do a
>> > command "sndconfig"
>> > But that returns a "command not found".

>> > Digging into the sound-howto doc leads me to look at my
>> > /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/
>> > [although of course in my case it's actually
>> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ ] to see if my
>> > soundcard is there; it's not.

>> > At this stage [do I need to be rebuilding the kernel?] I thought
>> > I'd appeal to the greater wisdom - hopefully someone else has
>> > been through this already, any hints or pointers will be very
>> > very much appreciated.

>> > TIA :)

>> Mandrake sets the volume level at zero as default
>> Open the sound mixer on Multimedia ---> Sound ---> Sound Mixer
>> A little speaker icon appears on youe taskbar.
>> right click on it and choose restore.
>> Set the volumes until you are satisfied and then set these new volumes
>> as default
>> Brian

> G'day Brian,
> Thanks for the thought.

> But that's not it - rightclick does nothing. Doubleclick,
> however, on the speaker brings up a sound mixer window which
> is completely blank, and after a while an error message appears:

> "Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device:/dev/dsp can't be opened (invalid argument)"

> Back at the command line, ls while in /dev shows that dsp
> doesn't indeed exist.
> Seems to me the Mandrake install failed to detect the card and
> install the proper driver; the question now becomes, how do I
> go about finding the right driver, and then installing it?

http://www.google.com/search?restrict=linux&q=Yamaha%20OPL3-SA3%20Tos...

3rd link:
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/drivers.html

But I have a feeling you might need to install this:
http://www.alsa-project.org/

It has support for your sound card.

Troy.

--
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
                -- The Book of Bokonon / Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

having trouble getting sound working...

Post by Brian Mc Kinne » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:00:57

I think Troy might be right. I had this sound card on my old IBM laptop,
and had some trouble getting it to work.
Try this, it is written for a different sound card but you can adapt it
for yours
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/yamaha_alsa.html
Another site that describes this card is
http://josthalen.homeip.net/linux/laptop.shtml
Finally look at this site and find your laptop here
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
Brian Mc Kinney

1. Having trouble getting inbound telnet to work properly (updated)

We just installed a preloaded RS/6000 system.  We configured the network using
SMIT and tried to telnet into the machine from another workstation but it
wouldn't work.  We can't even telnet to ourself.  I don't remember the exact
error but it on the order of 'connection refused'

Outbound network connections work fine.  This was the first thing we tried
after getting the network configured.  We then tried telneting in from another
workstation and then all the fun began when it failed.  We then tried telneting
to ourself which also didn't work.

We tried starting up named, and routed, but it didn't help.  Named just made it
easier for us to type our commands and still get the errors.  :)

Telneting to port 25 from outside and from myself works so we do know that
sendmail is working...

We can ping ourself via IP number and hostname (with DNS running).

It doesn't make sense that it doesn't work.  As far as we can tell, all the
services that should be defined are in /etc/services..

Any ideas?

Box 700 Central Mail Room, 535 West 120 Street, 324 Thorndike
New York, NY 10027-6629                 (212) 854-8027

2. Changing default pkg parameters

3. Having trouble getting 3D apps to work

4. HP SCSI Tape problem

5. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

6. E-mail informer!

7. Having trouble getting gethostbyaddr() working on Solaris?

8. e2fs works *too* well...

9. Having trouble getting X to work with Trident TGUI9420!

10. Trouble Getting Sound working with SBPro (8Bit), Voxware, and Rplay

11. Having trouble getting linux box on network

12. Having trouble getting pgp to compile.

13. HELP: Having big trouble getting sendmail 8.8.4 going with AIX 4.1.4