How do I stop lpr from printing blank pages?

How do I stop lpr from printing blank pages?

Post by Mike Harv » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:36:41

Every time I print anything using lpr, it ejects the paper from
the printer by feeding a blank page.  When printing lots of short
1 or 2 page files, this really gets wasteful and tiresome.
I tried looking at printcap; since there's no manpage I tried
looking at the manpage from the Sun system at school, but it
seems to be a bit different and many of the options used with
Linux were absent.

What printcap entries should I use to stop this problem?  I am using
a Panasonic KXP-1123, and the supplied printcap entry:

lp|panasonic:\
        lp=/dev/lp1:\
        sd=/usr/spool/lp1/panasonic:\
        lf=/usr/bin/mail:\
        mc#1:\
        ft=$$c$$p$$r$$f:\
        hl#2:\
        fl#3:\
        ht=$$c$$n$$r$$t:\
        sh:

Thanks in advance for any help...
Mike

--

Post by Spencer PriceNa » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 14:22:37

>Every time I print anything using lpr, it ejects the paper from
>the printer by feeding a blank page.  When printing lots of short
>1 or 2 page files, this really gets wasteful and tiresome.
>I tried looking at printcap; since there's no manpage I tried

I have a manpage for printcap.  It came with Slackware 2.0.0.  There's
a bunch of manpage tar files out there for anon ftp at Linux sites.
--

Dan Quayle via anon ftp: Quotes at umcc.umich.edu in pub/users/quayle, GIFs
and sound files at vaxa.crc.mssm.edu in quayle/gif and quayle/sound.

Post by Vincent Fati » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 01:16:27

>>Every time I print anything using lpr, it ejects the paper from
>>the printer by feeding a blank page.  When printing lots of short
>>1 or 2 page files, this really gets wasteful and tiresome.
>>I tried looking at printcap; since there's no manpage I tried

This worked for me and my Panasonic KX-P1124i:

        Add an "sf" field to the printer's entry in /etc/printcap.
        I did it by appending "sf:" right after the final ":" of the entry.
        The "sf" is for (S)uppress end-of-job (F)ormfeed.

Vince Fatica