Linux mpeg sound scratchy

Post by Rahe » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:28:54

Hi,
 I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my computer which has a built
in VIA 8233 chipset sound. My sound plays ok in Windows and used to
play fine on a Redhat installation earlier.
  Now, all the avi files have good sound but all the mp3 sound files,
the mpeg video files and the system sounds have real scratchy noise in
them.
Any ideas anybody!
(I did a reinstall: no solution)
Raheel

Linux mpeg sound scratchy

Post by nobodadd » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:33:31

> Hi,
>  I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my computer which has a built
> in VIA 8233 chipset sound. My sound plays ok in Windows and used to
> play fine on a Redhat installation earlier.
>   Now, all the avi files have good sound but all the mp3 sound files,
> the mpeg video files and the system sounds have real scratchy noise in
> them.
> Any ideas anybody!
> (I did a reinstall: no solution)
> Raheel

Sounds like the sample rate or bit depth are too low.  Look around your wm
(Gnome/KDE/whatever) for a config tool to adjust these.  Good Luck.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

1. Mpeg sound scratchy, avi sound ok

Hi,
 I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my computer which has a built
in VIA 8233 chipset sound. My sound plays ok in Windows and used to
play fine on a Redhat installation earlier.
  Now, all the avi files have good sound but all the mp3 sound files,
the mpeg video files and the system sounds have real scratchy noise in
them.
Any ideas anybody!
(I did a reinstall: no solution)
Raheel

2. nlist missing?

3. Linux + AC'97 Soundcard scratchy sound fix

4. Setting up email in Linux behind Linksys Router

5. sound scratchy?

6. UUCP. How Secure for mail ?

7. Scratchy sound with SB PCI128 (Ensoniq 1371) on VIA VT8367 and Athlon XP

8. older command line passwd

9. Scratchy sound - PAS 16

10. Sound is Scratchy

11. MPEG player with sound for linux?

12. Is ReelMagic sound/MPEG card and CD-ROM compatible with LINUX.

13. Is ReelMagic Sound/MPEG card from Sigma Design Compatible with LINUX