1. Adding a hard drive to 2nd SCSI adaptor
I really figured this would be a breeze, but I'm stuck trying to add an
additional drive to a previously emtpy scsi adaptor.
This is a Redhat 6.0 Linux 2.2.5smp kernal, with an Adaptec AIC-7890
(An internal controller hosting the primary boot and system drives -
scsi id 0), and an Adaptec 2940U2W which I'm attempting to connect a
drive with. If I attempt to powerup with the new drive attached
(Properly terminated) and on, the boot stops after the Autorun Done,
message with a VFC error - I know what's happening is that while the
system is booting first on the AIC-7890, linux is treating the drive on
the 2940U2W as /dev/sda instead of /dev/sdb; thus VFC doesn't find a
By powering off/disconnecting the new drive and rebooting successfully,
the dmesg log reports (scsi0) is the 2940 and (scsi1) is the 7890,
which is reverse of what I want. My question then is how with intel
hardware can you change the order the system see's the cards (This is a
Dell box with a Pheonix Bios version, which doesn't appear to allow
reassigning the interupts), or does it matter, can I just configure
something in linux to deal with this and retain the same hardware
configuration (Boot/system drives on the internal controller, data on
the secondary controller)?
A configuration that works, but I don't think is as elegant is changing
the lilo.conf and fstab to reference /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda, but
that also then assumes everytime the system boots there is at least one
drive attached to the external scsi bus.
Any idea's, suggestions, or assistance I can use to working with
multiple scsi adaptors?
Steve Simons "Yeah, I can do that"
Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
2. LILO and MS-DOG
3. Adding SCSI adapter to system w/ 3 IDE drives?
4. Block device driver synchronisation
5. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?
6. Help with shell command/script!
7. Adding a SCSI drive to BusLogic SCSI card causes timeouts
8. sizeof lies?
9. 2nd problem with a large IDE drive(maybe not the cause though) & LILO
10. Added 2nd IDE HD; Both Drives ignored.
11. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542
12. Help, adding 2nd SCSI drive to Bootmanager setup
13. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542