As I posted recently, I got the TA CD-ROM, and found that the setup kernel
recognized the CD drive, but the installed one didn't. I had trouble with
the recompile, as well.
The answer is:
in (I think it's) /etc/include/linux/drivers/blocks, there are *two*
makefiles. One is named Makefile, the other Makefile.orig. When
I diffed them, I discovered Makefile.orig *had* conditions for
compiling the Mitsumi driver, the Soundblaster driver, and one
other driver, and Makefile *didn't*. I renamed both, and reran
the compile. No problems, using lilo (after the usual moving &
/etc/lilo/install) I boot off my hard drive, I can mount the
CD ROM, etc.
I am emailing TA this, as well.