Trouble Recompiling kernel

Post by Juan Molina » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 10:27:19

        On numerous occasions I have tried to recompile the kernel
        in order to use my soundcard.  The problem is not the sound; I wish
        I could get that far.

        Compilation itself works fine (reportedly), but when I move the
        new image to /vmlinuz and reboot, the computer chokes.  I get the
        lilo prompt, tell it to boot linux, and as soon as it decompresses
        the kernel image the computer reboots.  Obviously a bad "binary",
        so to speak.

        What conditions, if any, could warrant the compilation of a bad kernel?
        Is it the options I'm giving it?  Am I missing a step? (I tried to
        configure it as carefully as I could).

--
____           Juan  G.  Molinari            (716) 475-3736

 \/   Maybe River Phoenix should have given up the speedballs and
        worried less about eating red meat.

Trouble Recompiling kernel

Post by Randy Hootm » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 04:47:02

Try this to make your kernel:

make config
make def
make clean
make

then (drum roll please)

make zlilo

You don't have to fool around with trying to move the zImage and
reconfiguring lilo (which is what it sounds like you forgot to do).

Hope this helps.

Randy

:       On numerous occasions I have tried to recompile the kernel
:       in order to use my soundcard.  The problem is not the sound; I wish
:       I could get that far.

:       Compilation itself works fine (reportedly), but when I move the
:       new image to /vmlinuz and reboot, the computer chokes.  I get the
:       lilo prompt, tell it to boot linux, and as soon as it decompresses
:       the kernel image the computer reboots.  Obviously a bad "binary",
:       so to speak.

:       What conditions, if any, could warrant the compilation of a bad kernel?
:       Is it the options I'm giving it?  Am I missing a step? (I tried to
:       configure it as carefully as I could).

: --
: ____           Juan  G.  Molinari            (716) 475-3736

:  \/   Maybe River Phoenix should have given up the speedballs and
:         worried less about eating red meat.
--

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
     "In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings,

1. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

2. restricted shutdown account

3. Trouble Recompiling Kernel

4. installing an SLS fix obtained from the net ?

5. trouble after kernel recompile

6. Locking IP-Adresses

7. Trouble with kernel recompile

8. tcp urgent data broken since 2.5.34?

9. Trouble with CC compiler when recompiling kernel

10. trouble after kernel recompile

11. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

12. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

13. recompiled kernel, the new kernel does not boot