Which PCI SCSI and Video Conroller to get?

Which PCI SCSI and Video Conroller to get?

Post by Brian Humpher » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 11:28:15

I am planning on upgrading my system to a 90Mhz Pentium, but can't
decide on a Graphics Controller and Scsi Controller.

I want to be able to run DOS/Windows, OS/2, Linux/X11R6. The
motherboard that I plan to get is the Intel Premiere II PCI.
I currently have a Seagate ST1200N 1.0Gb Fast SCSI II drive.

I have heard a little about PCI SCSI controllers based on the
NCR53c810 chipset, but have no information on them. I don't
even know who makes them.

I believe that Adaptec's PCI SCSI is not yet supported by Linux.

As far as Graphics Cards go, I am leaning toward the ATI Mach 64.

I would appreciate any comments about what PCI SCSI and Graphics
Controllers people are using successfully on the above platforms.

Thanks in advance!

--
Brian Humpherys

Which PCI SCSI and Video Conroller to get?

Post by Pat Duf » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 01:48:34

Quote:>I am planning on upgrading my system to a 90Mhz Pentium, but can't
>decide on a Graphics Controller and Scsi Controller.

Subscribe to comp.os.os2.misc and check out my PCI hardward for OS/2
lists.  They answer a lot of your questions.

Quote:>The
>motherboard that I plan to get is the Intel Premiere II PCI.

Good.

Quote:>I have heard a little about PCI SCSI controllers based on the
>NCR53c810 chipset, but have no information on them. I don't
>even know who makes them.

NCR makes many of them and sells them to OEMs.  Acculogic makes one as
well that will do fast and fast/wide.  They are great performers which
aren't expensive to boot.

Quote:>I believe that Adaptec's PCI SCSI is not yet supported by Linux.

Avoid the 2940 and 90 MHz machines -- I've heard too many problem reports
from people who have them.

Quote:>As far as Graphics Cards go, I am leaning toward the ATI Mach 64.

Well, if you _have_ to have a 64-bit graphics card, this is probably the one
to get; fair support under OS/2 and fairly good (from what I'm told) DOS/Win
support.  Don't know about Linux, though.
--

                                        | Darkness won't engulf my head
"Please don't ask me about my thesis."  | I can see in infra-red

Post by Eric Smi » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 09:30:42

Quote:> As far as Graphics Cards go, I am leaning toward the ATI Mach 64.

Fine for DOS & Windows, but XFree86 3.1 doesn't support it (except as a
non-accelerated VGA).

I'd recommend the Spider Tarantula 64 PCI, which is based on the S3 Vision 964
chip, and is available with 2 or 4 Megabytes of VRAM.  I purchased a 4M card
locally for $395.  It comes with DOS, Windows, and CAD drivers, and is
supported by XFree.

Note that this is different than the Spider 64.  Make sure you get the
Tarantula.

Cheers,
Eric