Can anyone help me connect an HP 750 with USB to Red Hat 8.0?

Can anyone help me connect an HP 750 with USB to Red Hat 8.0?

Post by Lee Duk » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:53:13

Yes, I've tried linuxprinting.org I cannot figure out how to tell the
system that there's a printer connected to it. (I've tried rebooting,
logging out/in, etc.)

Can anyone help me connect an HP 750 with USB to Red Hat 8.0?

Post by Filipe Bonjou » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:54:27

Lee,

Quote:> Yes, I've tried linuxprinting.org I cannot figure out how to tell the
> system that there's a printer connected to it. (I've tried rebooting,
> logging out/in, etc.)

Yeah, but it takes a little while... Bear in mind that I did this about a
year ago, so it may have changed. Make sure you read the doc that comes
with the drivers. Oh, I did this for a PSC 720, but it's the same drivers.

1) hpoj

* Download hpoj from http://hpoj.sourceforge.net. The current version is
  0.90.
* Install it
* Check your init scripts directory, and check that the new service called
  ptal-init is setup to start before lpd.
* Run "ptal-init setup". I configured the printer as "mlc:usb:PSC_720".
* Run "ptal-init restart".
* You can now check that everything is OK with a few commands:
  --> "ptal-devid mlc:usb:PSC_720"
  --> "ptal-hp mlc:usb:PSC_720 device"
  --> "ptal-hp mlc:usb:PSC_720 display"
  --> "ptal-hp mlc:usb:PSC_720 clock"
  --> "ptal-connect mlc:usb:PSC_720 -service Echo"

2) hpijs

* Download hpijs from http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/. Current version:
  1.3.1.
* Install it.
* You might need to (re)install GNU ghostscript. If so use the --with-ijs
  and --with-gimp-print options for the configure script.

3) printconf

* Now we need to configure printtool so that it has an entry for your
  printer. If you use another tool to configure lpd, this will not help
  you...
* Goto to linuxprinting.org and get the LPD-O-Matic for the printer.
* At the time I had to add "$postpipe = '| ptal-init mld:usb:PSC_720'"
  at the beginning of the LPD-O-Matic file (which I placed in /usr/
  /share/printconf/foomatic/data as "HP-PSC_720.foo".
* Create a link to that file in the same directory, calling it
  "ijs-HP-PSC_730.foo".
* Add en entry for the printer in the file 00-Overview.foo in the
  same directory. The "id" and "drivers" fields must match the name
  of the link you created ('id' => 'HP-PSC_710' and 'drivers' => ['ijs'])
* , run utils, create a file calles "list_devices.ps"
  with the following contents:
  "devicenames { = } forall
   quit"
  (Spaces may count in there, check the doc).
   Run "gs -q -sDEVICE=nullpage list_devices.ps < device_list".
* In /usr/share/printconf, run "./util/build_stripped_printer_db.py
  foomatic/data fpoomatic/rh-data printer_db.pickle util/device_list"
  (Don't ask. I don't understand any of this... but it worked for me!)

4) Create the lpd queues with printtool

* Important: the device must be "/dev/ptal-printd/mlc_usb_PSC_720".

Note: If you install sane and xsane, you'll be able to run the scanner
from Gimp.

Good luck, but please don't ask me for any more informations. I have a
different computer, I don't have a printer any more, and all I have left
from that installations is a bunch of notes I jotted down for if i ever
had to reinstall the damn thing.

Fil