eth0 lost

Post by Wesley Am » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:31:24

When I type 'ifconfig eth0', I get an error message that the interface
device cannot be found.  I had updated my Debian using 'dselect'; at
an error, the process hung, so I rebooted.  Now eth0 is not defined.
Any hints on how to go about recovering eth0?  Thanks.

Wesley Aman

eth0 lost

Post by nobodadd » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:00:55

> When I type 'ifconfig eth0', I get an error message that the interface
> device cannot be found.  I had updated my Debian using 'dselect'; at
> an error, the process hung, so I rebooted.  Now eth0 is not defined.
> Any hints on how to go about recovering eth0?  Thanks.

> Wesley Aman

The driver isn't getting loaded; check dmesg (right after a boot).

Find your driver in "/lib/modules/../net" (I don't run Debian, so I'm not
sure about the exact dir structure).

You might try

$ modprobe -t net

Good luck.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

eth0 lost

Post by Wesley Am » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:26:48

> > When I type 'ifconfig eth0', I get an error message that the interface
> > device cannot be found.  I had updated my Debian using 'dselect'; at
> > an error, the process hung, so I rebooted.  Now eth0 is not defined.
> > Any hints on how to go about recovering eth0?  Thanks.

> > Wesley Aman

> The driver isn't getting loaded; check dmesg (right after a boot).

> Find your driver in "/lib/modules/../net" (I don't run Debian, so I'm not
> sure about the exact dir structure).

> You might try

> $ modprobe -t net

> Good luck.

It turned out that in 'modules.conf' tap0 was being defined.  When I
commented out the definition, and put in an alias for eth0 (alias eth0
8139too), everything then worked as desired.

Wesley Aman

1. Debian: eth0 loses network configuration

Hi folks,

I'm running a Sarge system on a Commell LV-671 board with an
Intel-82541PI-Gigabit-NIC. I configured it in /etc/network/interfaces
like this:

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.200.40.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 10.200.40.255
network 10.200.40.0
gateway 10.1.0.254

In my opinion, the gateway-line should be commented out, but I was
overuled. Roumors say, it didn't change anything, I haven't tried and
seen it myself yet, though.

When entering runlevel 2, a script is called, setting a default gateway
to be able to connect to the system from the 10.1.0.0 network:

/sbin/route add -host 10.1.0.254 eth0
/sbin/route add default gw 10.1.0.254

(only relevant parts - the 10.200.0.0 network is not able to connect to
the internet)

This seems to work fine. In our network, there is a DHCP server. After a
certain time, eth0 "drops" its network address and plays around with the
DHCP server. Say: It fetches an IP address and reconfigures. The only
thing conspicious I could find, is the following message in the kernel
logs:

Mar 14 09:17:02 localhost kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link
is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

It pops up from time to time, without claiming the link having been down
before. So I can find this message several times in a row in the kernel
log. Every time this message appears, I have to face the described
problem. It find it quite interesting, that one time, it works for
hours, even days, but some other time, only for ten minutes. Then maybe
again for two hours... So there are always different intervals.

/etc/init.d/networking restart (and executing the routing script)
works for the time described above.  It says "network unreachable",
though, but I'm quite sure that this is caused by the unknown gateway
(10.1.0.254). I assume that this is also the reason for the "failed to
bring up eth0" message, that follows right after the "network
unreachable" line?

Any ideas? :)

Muffi

2. bincancel:7 large binaries:AR435:@@NCM

3. LOST LOST LOST

4. Porting Finite Element programs

5. Where, oh where, is my little lost eth0?

6. bind a cpu to a task

7. Lost eth0 in RHL 5.2

8. Cable Modem Help... (Newbie)

9. Losing eth0

10. Installed samba and lost eth0 default routing

11. losing eth0 after compile

12. Upgrading from RedHat 7.1 to 7.2, I lost eth0 and X11

13. Ethernet Problem: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?