HELP needed for installing Linux (486 with an ESDI HD)

HELP needed for installing Linux (486 with an ESDI HD)

Post by Yuan-fang Wa » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 04:35:07

I tried insatlling Linux on my PC this weekend and failed.
My PC has an Intel 486DX CPU with AMI bios, and a 640M ESDI HD
by Fujitsu with an ESDI controller made by UltraStor (no SCSI or CD Rom).

I tried many bootdisks including bare, Xt, Scsinet, and Modern,
and all of them complained that HD has more than 16 heads due to
nonstandard sector partition. I tried supplying HD configuration
with ramdisk at boot time to no avail. I was able to ignore
warning messages (complaining that partitions do not end at cylinder
boundary) from Linux fdisk and installed the "A" disk sets.
However, I was not able to boot with either Lilo or boot floppy
created during setup.

If you have any suggestions to what I can do to fix this problem,

Thanks

1. Help with install on Compaq 486/33L,ESDI HD, SCSI CDROM

I am trying to install Trans-Ameritech Systems' Linux plus BSD (Slackware
v2.0.2
distribution) on the following hardware.

Compaq Deskpro 486/33L
   CPU: Intel 80486DX
   BUS: EISA
   MotherBoard: U153 rev K/M/W
?   BIOS:
   Controllers:Built in IDE (floppy)
               Future Domain TMC850 based SCSI
               WD 1009V-EXT E011 K 46911 (from ESDI controller from Compaq)
   HardDisk: Maxtor model XT 876OEM ESDI Hard Disk (760MB)
?   CDROM:
   Graphics Adapter:Trident 8900 SVGA
   Serial Mouse

When I boot with the Boot/Root floppies the system refuses to recognize a
CDROM
or Hard disk. I would like to know the bootstring parameters to recognize
these
devices. I would like to identify if this hardware configuration will work
with
LINUX.

Thanks
-Renuke Mendis

2. Star Office 6

3. Installing Linux on a 486 w/ a SoundBlaster CD and an IDE/ESDI HD Controller

4. xcdroast not compiling

5. Slackware install on Compaq 486/33l ESDI HD & SCSI CDROM

6. RedHat 8.0: Clipboard

7. Need help installing X on 486 with ATL Ultra

8. Disk checking at bootup

9. Can't install Rh 6.1 486 with 15gb hd and Promise Drivemax

10. Need help setting up Linux on Intel 486

11. Help installing linux SLS on a 486 with 2 hard drives

12. Help installing Linux on an 486 with 40 flashdisk

13. Windows 3.11/ RH 5.1 Linux, one big HD, 486 BIOS limitations, fix please?