Help with some basic Linux Questions !

Post by Sanjay Goy » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 10:00:21

I need some help with some questions about Linux ...

I have been using Interactive UNIX for the last several years.

I have noticed some differences and would like your help ...

When I open two files using the 'vi' editor and try to copy a few lines
from one file to the other using (say, storing 5 lines into register a)
        5"ayy
and then try to paste it using
        "ap
it only pastes the first line ... what gives ?

Question 2
----------
I use 'fvwm' under X windows ... I use a Microsoft Serial two-button mouse ..
What (and where) changes do I make to allow me to use dynamic scrolling
in an Xterm window (this is supposed to be done using the middle button
on (say) a logitech three-button mouse). In other words, how can I reprogram
the mouse buttons to emulate a third button.

On the same lines ... can I do copy and paste between Xterm windows (using
a two-button mouse) ... is there a 'man' file that discusses this ?

Question 3
----------

Is there a xcalendar program or a xscheduler program somewhere in public
domain ?

On a related topic ... which is the best site for X Windows source code ?

Question 4
----------

What changes do I need to make to .fvwmrc file to program a function key
to start a program  ... I tried some things ... but no luck !

On a related topic ... can someone send me a .fvwmrc file that let a user
do most operations from the keyboard rather than a mouse ?

Question 5
----------

I have tried using Seyon communication package ... but it does not let me
specify the windows or font size in the command line ... is there another
way ?

Question 6
----------

How can I program .fvwmrc file to create an program group with my own set
of program icons (just like MS-Windows) ?

Question 7
----------

Is there a good backup program somewhere ... I tried to look for 'ftape'
in sunsite ... but could not find it ? If you happen to know, please
include the exact directory where I can find it ... thanks

Thats it ... would really appreciate an E-MAIL response ... I will post
summary on the net ...

Thanks in advance.

MAX

Post by Dumas Wo » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 16:37:57

>I need some help with some questions about Linux ...

>I have been using Interactive UNIX for the last several years.

>I have noticed some differences and would like your help ...

>Question 2
>----------
>I use 'fvwm' under X windows ... I use a Microsoft Serial two-button mouse ..
>What (and where) changes do I make to allow me to use dynamic scrolling
>in an Xterm window (this is supposed to be done using the middle button
>on (say) a logitech three-button mouse). In other words, how can I reprogram
>the mouse buttons to emulate a third button.

Place the line "Emulate3Buttons" in your Xconfig file, then press both
buttons at the same time to emulate the middle one.

Quote:

>On the same lines ... can I do copy and paste between Xterm windows (using
>a two-button mouse) ... is there a 'man' file that discusses this ?

Yes you can do this.
Quote:

>Question 3
>----------

>Is there a xcalendar program or a xscheduler program somewhere in public
>domain ?

Yes. look for xcalend.tar.Z in /pub/Linux/X11/xapps on the various sites.

Quote:>On a related topic ... which is the best site for X Windows source code ?

>Question 4
>----------

>What changes do I need to make to .fvwmrc file to program a function key
>to start a program  ... I tried some things ... but no luck !

>On a related topic ... can someone send me a .fvwmrc file that let a user
>do most operations from the keyboard rather than a mouse ?

>Question 5
>----------

>I have tried using Seyon communication package ... but it does not let me
>specify the windows or font size in the command line ... is there another
>way ?

 You can  1. make it start in the currently active window/xterm  2.
Make it bring up a new window. The font/window can be controlled, see
1-FAQ that is with the distibution on how to do this.

Hope I helped you some...
numby

Post by Mario Cam » Sat, 26 Feb 1994 13:04:03

>Question 2
>----------
>I use 'fvwm' under X windows ... I use a Microsoft Serial two-button mouse ..
>What (and where) changes do I make to allow me to use dynamic scrolling
>in an Xterm window (this is supposed to be done using the middle button
>on (say) a logitech three-button mouse). In other words, how can I reprogram
>the mouse buttons to emulate a third button.

>On the same lines ... can I do copy and paste between Xterm windows (using
>a two-button mouse) ... is there a 'man' file that discusses this ?

Put (or uncomment) the following line in your /usr/lib/X11/Xconfig:

Emulate3Buttons

(that's right after defining the mouse, ie., after the 'PS/2
"/dev/mouse"' line). What this does is that pressing both mouse
buttons emulates pressing the middle button.

Quote:>Question 7
>----------

>Is there a good backup program somewhere ... I tried to look for 'ftape'
>in sunsite ... but could not find it ? If you happen to know, please
>include the exact directory where I can find it ... thanks

Try:
  sunsite:/pub/Linux/system/Backup/afio-2.3.6.tgz
  sunsite:/pub/Linux/kernel/tapes/ftape-0.9.9d.tar.gz

I've read many good things about afio in the comp.os.linux.* groups.

Hope this helps,
Mario
--
Mario Camou / EDS Mexico Client-Server Integration Team
MS-DOS is a bug. MS-Windows is a bug with a Graphical User Interface.

1. Basic C++ & LINUX Related question . Pls HELP !!!!

Hi,

  I am writing a C++ application. The application forks child processes
& these processes need to share c++ objects at runtime. What I mean is,
if 'A' is a class & the child process created an instance of 'A', I
need the parent to access this object. How do I accomplish this task ?
I am not interested in using PTHreads.

I would be extremely happy if somebody out there can help me out.

regs
-Alexei

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to reference images within the CGI directory?

3. Basic basic troff question??!

4. SOLARIS-WWW-APACHE

5. Basic, Basic SCSI Question

6. tape woes on SGI

7. very basic basic newbie question

8. Xerrors

9. Basic questions about Linux (was: Linux)

10. How can I run basic (most basic) linux from a diskette ????

11. Basic 'find' question - Please help!

12. Checking for errors, Basic question: Please help

13. Quick Question: Very Basic - I need help.