Sigh...can't compile Linux 1.1.61 Kernel

Sigh...can't compile Linux 1.1.61 Kernel

Post by J Gurgan » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 04:13:39

I recently started from scratch and installed Slackware 2.0.2 on
a 486DX-50 16 meg machine with a 2742T SCSI Adaptor.

I'd like to recompile the 1.1.61 kernel, but the compile quits
during the compilation of the network files.  It stops with an
error 11 or something close.  So far I've tried the kernel
that came with Slackware (54?), level 59, level 60, and level 61
with no success.  I also tried reinstalling all the "D" disks from
the Slackware 2.0.2 distribution.

I have compiled kernels with no problems on other Linux machines...the latest
being level 50.  I do the normal "make config" then "make dep; make clean"
then "make zImage".

Could someone please help me out?  If more information is needed, please
let me know.

Please be kind if I'm doing something stupid. 8)

--
James Gurganus

Post by Andrew Robert Ellswor » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 07:24:46

>I recently started from scratch and installed Slackware 2.0.2 on
>a 486DX-50 16 meg machine with a 2742T SCSI Adaptor.
>I'd like to recompile the 1.1.61 kernel, but the compile quits
>during the compilation of the network files.  It stops with an
>error 11 or something close.  So far I've tried the kernel
>that came with Slackware (54?), level 59, level 60, and level 61
>with no success.  I also tried reinstalling all the "D" disks from
>the Slackware 2.0.2 distribution.

Well, it's a long shot, but I can offer a -possible- explanation from an
experience I had with the same errors last weekend.

I have an Intel DX2-66 that I recently overclocked to 80MHz (no comments,
please, overclocking isn't the issue here), and it ran fine under
MS-Windows, DOS, and Linux/X.  I even did some CPU-intensive stuff like
an 11-hour ray-trace of an F-18 under POVRay for Linux to make sure that
everything worked OK.

I picked up 1.1.61, and tried to compile it, and got several errors.  The
only problem was, the errors weren't consistent, and they weren't always
reproducible; sometimes gcc would barf at one spot, and I'd simply
type "make zImage" again, and it would make it past that point (only to
barf at another point later on.)

The problem, I discovered, was in my BIOS chipset settings.  I have a
relatively slow 256K of cache (20ns), yet I had my cache timings set to
maximum performance settings (2-1-1).  This worked fine running at 66MHz,
and -seemed- to work fine at 80MHz.  Well, I used more conservative
settings for my cache, and that solved the problem with only a -very-
minor hit in performance.  So it turned out that the problem only
surfaced when doing a VERY processor/memory intensive task, like
compiling the kernel.

The reason I think this may be your problem is that, from what you said,
you have a true DX-50 (50MHz external, 50 internal) rather than a DX2-50
(25MHz external, 50MHz internal).  If that's the case, that means your
external (L2) cache is running at 50MHz.  Normally this shouldn't cause a
problem; but if, like you said, you haven't been able to compile any
kernels on your DX-50, you might try more conservative settings in your
BIOS (assuming they're not already as conservative as possible).

Again, this is just a suggestion of a possible cause, not necessarily the
answer to your problem.

--
Andy Ellsworth                | "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."

Member, XF86_W32 beta team    |              his motivations for porting DOOM
http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~are1|              to Linux

1. HELP! Can't compile 1.1.61

I've been struggling for the past few days trying to get 1.1.61 to
compile.  Generally I _never_ have problems compiling; I've done at least
5 or 6 recompiles of 1.0.9.

Here's the puke that make spits out when it barfs:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/lib'
ld -qmagic -Ttext 0xfffe0 boot/head.o init/main.o tools/version.o \
        kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o net/net.o ipc/ipc.o \
        fs/filesystems.a \
        drivers/block/block.a drivers/char/char.a drivers/net/net.a
ibcs/ibcs.o
drivers/sound/sound.a \
        lib/lib.a \
        -o tools/zSystem
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_prot referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_statistics referenced from text segment
net/net.o: More undefined symbol _tcp_statistics refs follow
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_send_probe0 referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_prot referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_prot referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _seq_offset referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_prot referenced from text segment
net/net.o: Undefined symbol _tcp_rcv referenced from data segment
fs/filesystems.a(xiafs.o): Undefined symbol _xiafs_sync_file referenced
from data segment
make: *** [tools/zSystem] Error 1

Anyone have any clues?  I know how to piddle with makefiles, but I'm no
die-hard C programmer.  Any help would be appreciated.

--
Andy Ellsworth                | "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."

Member, XF86_W32 beta team    |              his motivations for porting DOOM
http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~are1|              to Linux

2. cannot logon RH 5.1 LINUX

3. Kernel change summary 1.1.60 -> 1.1.61

4. where can I find xmcd binaries?

5. Kernel change summary 1.1.61 -> 1.1.62

6. HELP WITH TALK

7. Kernel 1.1.61 and LILO

8. modules - HELP!

9. kernel > 1.1.61 and iBCS...