SCSI Disk Kernel Panic Problem

Post by Roman Kaluzniac » Wed, 29 Sep 1993 12:03:48

I have been following this news group for a while to discover
a fix for the kernel abort problems that I continue to experience.
However, despite a fairly large number of people reporting similar
problems, I have seen no hints to their cause nor guidelines toward
their solution.

The kernel aborts much too often - I cannot even load files from
a few floppy disks before a crash... and so am not even able to install
Linux cleanly. Of course, after the crash I find that the file system
is corrupted. Even after installation, any intensive disk/memory
data transfer results in a kernel error (at seemingly random times).

I have noted others mention similar problems with network operations
as well, but believe they are centered in the swapping task of the
kernel. Any insights on the fix would be appreciated.

System components are:
        Micronics 486DX2-66 256k VESA Local Bus
        8MB 70ns SIMMS Memory
        UltraStor 34F VESA LB SCSI-2 Disk Controller (addr = 0x230)
        Fujitsu M2624T 520MB SCSI-2 Hard Disk Drive
        Micronics, ATI 68800 Mach 32, 2MB VRAM, VESA Video Card

The LINUX software is:
        SLS 1.03, LINUX Version 0.99.12 #1

I have created the partitions

/dev/sda1       DOS
/dev/sda2       /
/dev/sda3       /home
/dev/sda4       swap (16MB)

and use LILO from a floppy to boot the system.

I get messages as follows at seemingly random times -  here are
two prototypes:

Case 1:
Unable to handle kernel paging request at address C00000d8
Oops: 0002
EIP: 0010: 0018B756
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: 18fb3db0 ebx: 00000004 ecx: 00000000 edx: 00000004
esi: 00000004 edi: 00000000 ebp: 00000000
ds: 0018 es: 0018 fs: 002b gs: 002b
Pid: 0 process nr: 0
89 83 d4 00 00 00 66 8b 73 30
task[0] (swapper) killed unable to recover
Kernel panic: Trying to free up swapper memory space
In swapper task - not synching

Case 2:
Kernel panic: Trying to free up swapper memory space
In swapper task - not synching
general protection: 001c
EIP: 0010: 0010D6D1
EFLAGS: 00010086
eax: a11b07b8 ebx: 0000000a ecx: 000003d5 edx: 000003d5
esi: 001b1510 edi: 001ac4b0 ebp: 001b4074
ds: 0018 es: 0018 fs: 002b gs: 002b
Pid: 0 process nr: 0
0f a9 83 c4 04 cf 00 00 00 00
task[0] (swapper) killed unable to recover

Sorry, but I did not compile the kernel (I can't load the system
safely) so am not able to decode the EIP value.

Please email any helpful replies to

Thanks,
Roman Kaluzniacki

1. kernel panics with Quantum SCSI disk

Hi hackers,

I'm trying to install Linux on a Pentium II 266 system with a Quantum
QN39100TD-WS  "Atlas III 9.1GB wide SCSI" disk. However, the kernel
panics with the aic7xxx module saying things like:
"AWAITING_MSG for an SCB that does not have a waiting message" or
"REQINIT with no active message!".
This behaviour does not happen if a Western Digitial Enterprise disk is
added to the end of the bus (with the WD disk terminated). If the
Quantum is at the end the problems appear again. At first I thought I
made some stupid termination mistake but using the same disks on a Intel
Solaris 2.6 system did not show any errors.
These are the specs of my Linux box:
Asus P2L97-S MB with 266Mhz Pentium II and integrated Adaptec SCSI
controler BIOS v. 1.32
Quantum QN39100TD-WS hard disk
3 3c905 ethernet cards
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 video
I've tried to access the disk with the Redhat 5.0, 5.1 and RawHide
install disks and the Debian Hamm install disks. These contain kernel
version 2.0.32, 2.034 and 2.0.35. The problems occur with all versions.

Does anyone have a clue what's the problem?
Thanks in advance,

Bastiaan Bakker
LifeLine Networks BV

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Backup of system

3. Kernel panic with Adaptec & 2 scsi-disks

4. Problem when installing 1.1.2

5. IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

6. Sound card problem

7. Kernel panic with boot & rescue disk after kernel upgrade

8. term performance

9. Kernel 2.0.33 + SCSI - Kernel panic

10. Kernel Panic: SCSI Adaptec 2920 Problem

11. kernel panic due to swap problem or broken SCSI driver or ???

12. SCSI Drive Problems -- Kernel Panic: scsi_free

13. Kernel panic (SCSI problems)