Setting up an NIS server

Post by Bruce Pennypacke » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:18:55

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace a FreeBSD NIS server with a Linux one (RedHat 7.1).
I've created the domain mydomian) and all the appropriate files are in
/var/yp/mydomain.  I can run ypserv on the server, but when I try to run
ypbind on any of the other servers that in the past worked with the FreeBSD
server I get errors stating that the domain isn't bound.

I found some documentation at
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/ypserv.html that indicates
ypserv should be restistered with portmapper, but it doesn't appear that it
is.  When I execute "rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv" I get an error that it's
not registered.  What do I need to do to get this registered?  Or is this a
red herring?

Thanks,

-Bruce

1. Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

     Hello,
I am trying to setup (my first) Linux NIS+ client. The process
should be straight forward, but I am having problem with the
"keylogin -r" step. Can someone see what I am doing wrong?

On the Solaris 2.7 NIS+ server (say nissys.tamu.edu) I add the
credentials:

and enter the client root passwords. The NIS domain is "mynis.tamu.edu"
the client name is "sys1" or fully qualified "sys1.tamu.edu".

On the Linux client (Linux Mandrake 6.1 / Redhat 6 based distribution) I
type:

   domainname mynis.tamu.edu
   nisinit -c -H nissys.tamu.edu
   keyserv

so far everything seems OK. The final step is:

   keylogin -r

I enter the clients root password and I get the error message:

do not know why this error appears. Even at this stage the NIS+ tables
seem to be available. On the client I can type:

   niscat passwd.org-dir

and I get the password list from my NIS+ server.

Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

        - Henrik
--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

2. text editor

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. question about new modules in FreeBSD 4.1

5. differences between nis servers and nis+ servers?

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

8. A Windows 2000/Linux comparison

9. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

10. NIS--How to server setting for Multiply client

11. SETTING UP NIS SERVER

12. need to set up NIS for WWW server alias ?

13. Setting up NIS server on solaris 2.8