My clock is way too fast - how do I slow it down?

My clock is way too fast - how do I slow it down?

Post by Skip Montana » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 19:30:59

I manage two Linux machines, one is a 482DX2-66, the other a Cyrix
thingamabob, which we plan to replace ASAP.  (Sorry, off the top of my head
I don't know more details about them.)  Both tend to gain a fair amount of
time.  On the Cyrix machine, I run a netdate command daily from root's
crontab.  The clock consistently gains about 53 seconds per day when
compared with cesium.clock.org:

    cesium.clock.org -53.396 Tue Oct 18 03:12:10.000

The other machine isn't as bad.  It only gains about 15 seconds per day.

I looked but didn't see an adjtime call in the man pages.  How does one
adjust the time-of-day clock on a PC from Linux?  One colleague of mine says
that PCs tend to keep pretty good time.  Is it just a Linux thing, or is it
peculiar to the Cyrix chip/motherboard?

Thx,

--

Automatrix - World-Wide Computing Solutions:      http://www.automatrix.com/
Internet Conference Calendar:         http://www.automatrix.com/conferences/

1. SCO 5.0.2 NSF is slow - VERY slow What am I doing wrong??

I have two machines with OpenServer 5.0.2 connected by TCP/IP.  rcp works,
rlogin works, telnet works, and ftp works.  But when I tried to experiemnt with
nsf I found out that it is slow - very slow.

This is my PCs' specs.

pasta (pasta.takadom.org) 134.1.1.2
Pent-75
1.6GB/32MB
SMC 8432BT
/etc/exports
/u

sushi (sushi.takadom.org) 134.1.1.1
586-133
2.5GB/16MB
Intel EtherExpress 16
/etc/exports
/v

On sushi, I login as root and type "mount pasta:/u /usr/takakami/tempmount"

Response:
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok

#

This takes 5 minutes.  (from my command to getting a prompt back)

mount
/on /dev/root read/write on ******
/stand on ****************
/u on *********************
/v on ********************
/usr/takakami/tempmount on pasta:/u read/write on ******************

This is immediate.

Then I do
cd/usr/takakami/tempmount

I go get my coffee, pick up my laundries.....  10 minutes later I get
#

Then I do l

Response
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok

10 minutes later, I hit {del} to abort
#

After setting up tcp/ip to be able to do rcp, rlogin, telnet, ftp, the only
file I changed (added) was /etc/exports file.

I verified mountd, nfsd, pcnfsd, and biod was running.  Accroding to several
past posts, nfs get defined default when one install OpenServer 5.0.2.

What am I doing wrong here?

The situation is similar the other way around (trying to nfs mount /v on sushi
from pasta)

Thanks!

2. Listen Backlog Limit in Linux & Web Servers

3. 2.4.2: System clock slows down under load

4. Installing linux on a ATA/66 drive

5. Clock slow down

6. Remote NFS mounts fail.

7. How To Slow Down System Clock

8. why can't you do this with the CERN server

9. Slowing down the clock

10. 2.4.2: System clock slows down under load

11. How To Slow Down System Clock

12. Fast clock and slow modem on laptop

13. clock slows down on OS5?