fdisk scsi problems and fdisk crashes

Post by Owain Philli » Fri, 18 Feb 1994 22:11:22

I tried getting round the fdisk 'floatin point exception' last night by
entering my disks geometry even though it appeared to display the geometry
before it crashed...

fdisk command appeared to display the correct information cylinders 2100
heads 15 and sectors 84 on start up, I tried to set them via the `expert`
menu....

First problem was for sectors command 's' only range 1-63 is exceptable,
but heads could be 1-256....

Oh well its a SCSI disk doesn't matter about real geometry they're just logical blocks....

Well 1024 cylinders x 63 heads x 60 sectors just fits into the capacity of
the disk try that....bingo

I could then display the current partion table OK, with a warning that my
DOS paritions ending wasn't on a cylinder boundary...fair enough that
shouldn't matter...Something was displayed that hinted that some kind of
physical to logical mapping was taking place.

I then added a 10MB Linux swap partition (from the next start cylinder) and
assigned the rest of the disk as a Linux native partition, before saving
the table to the disk.

Upon reboot I run fdisk and same problem, if I try to display the table
the program crashes with 'floating point exception' after displaying
the first DOS partition.

If I set my sectors, cylinders and sectors again before displaying the
table it is displayed OK!!!

I then tryed to run setup which got some kind of floating point exception
and said I had no linux native partions setup and exited.

At this point I gave up for the evening, getting more disheartened all
the time....

It looks as if 'fdisk' is determining the geometry (2100c,15h,84s) from
the disk (or the existing table?) not saving the geometry I enter properly,
so when I reboot It cannot interpret the table properly for the
geometry I entered (1024c,63h,60s).

What next???
Be eternally gratefull for any pointers,
or email address of the person who wrote fdisk.

Regards,

Owain Phillips                                  tel: +44 908 222112
Xylogics International Ltd                      fax: +44 908 222115

]
] First problem was for sectors command 's' only range 1-63 is
] exceptable, but heads could be 1-256....
]
] Oh well its a SCSI disk doesn't matter about real geometry they're
] just logical blocks....
]
] Well 1024 cylinders x 63 heads x 60 sectors just fits into the
] capacity of the disk try that....bingo

I don't understand, 2100 x 15 x 84 = 2646000,
                    1024 x 63 x 60 = 3870720.  These are not equal.
I'm trying to figure out a Seagate 12400, 2657 x 19 x 83, so I'd
like to understand what is going on with this.

-david

1. Win95 fdisk problems after using Linux fdisk

I'm in the process of trying to install linux on my Win95 machine.  Right
now I have two partitions for Windows, 2 gig, and 1 gig.  I used Linux
fdisk to create partitions on the remaining gig of my 4 gig drive, and when
I went back to Windows and tried to use fdisk there it gave me an 'error
reading fixed disk drive' message.  Any ideas?  Seems like Linux fdisk
corrupted something.  I only created new Linux partitions in free space,
and didn't touch the existing Windows partitions.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Matt

2. Can anyone out there tell me from where download Linux ???

3. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

4. HELP: Console text corruption

5. Problems with number of heads from DOS FDISK partitions and Linux fdisk on 8.4 GB drive

6. Apache API

7. MS-DOS FDISK not working. Linux fdisk does.

8. ALD - Assembly Language Debugger - where?

9. Linux FDISK and OS/2 FDISK: incompatibility!

10. win95 fdisk - linux fdisk /dev/hdc

11. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

12. fdisk vs. fdisk

13. linux fdisk-2.1 and win95 fdisk extended partition type `0f'