PPPD not exiting on carrier drop

Post by Kevin Sartorel » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 19:17:32

I have pppd 2.1.2b installed and working great except for one 'small'
problem.  If a user drops carrier instead of exiting cleanly then pppd
doesn't seem to notice and remains active.  This is a 'little' annoying as
it means the line is tied up until I notice and kill the process.

I can't see anything I have done wrong and have read all the literature I an
get on it.  My understanding is that once it has sent X number of echo
requests which have gone unanswered it will terminate.  In my options line I
have lcp-echo-interval set to 10 and lcp-echo-failure set to 2.

This is happening on two machines, both kernel 1.1.65 running mgetty .22,
one with an external 2400 modem, the other with an internal ZyXEL.

Does anyone have any ideas, or have the same problem?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Post by Dale Elr » Mon, 28 Nov 1994 00:59:27

: I have pppd 2.1.2b installed and working great except for one 'small'
: problem.  If a user drops carrier instead of exiting cleanly then pppd
: doesn't seem to notice and remains active.  This is a 'little' annoying as
: it means the line is tied up until I notice and kill the process.

in /etc/ppp/options add the word 'modem' in that file

--

| Dungeon Network Systems     | +44-1638-711550  | Mildenhall, Suffolk |

Post by Bill Heis » Mon, 28 Nov 1994 03:47:16

: I have pppd 2.1.2b installed and working great except for one 'small'
: problem.  If a user drops carrier instead of exiting cleanly then pppd
: doesn't seem to notice and remains active.  This is a 'little' annoying as

I have seen this happen if the "modem" option is not used when invoking pppd.

--

PGP public key available upon request.