Linux for a first time user

Post by Roland Giva » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:27:59

I'm on the verge of buying a box to run Linux on - and would like some
advice on what kernel etc to use.

It must support:

VESA Bus
Cirrus Logic VESA SVGA adaptor under a decent X res
5XX EIDE hard drive
Microsoft serial mouse

I'm also intending to put an Adaptec 1540B or Future Domain (model not
know) SCSI card in, to run an NEC SCSI1 CDR-37 CD-ROM drive, and later on
a tape unit.

(suggestions as to which SCSI card to go for are welcomed ;-)

What I want to know is what and *where* to download - or am I better of
buying a CD-ROM with an installation on. I know there is some details of
this in the FAQs, but I'd appreciate some up to the minute information.

I have to pay for my internet connection so I'm trying to avoid lots of
big downloads.

My main aim is to get a Linux installation up and running as fast as
possible so I can prove the machine is truely Linux compatible.

Thanks

Roland.

Linux for a first time user

Post by Tom Henr » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 00:08:03

Quote:> It must support:
> VESA Bus
> Cirrus Logic VESA SVGA adaptor under a decent X res
> 5XX EIDE hard drive
> Microsoft serial mouse
> I'm also intending to put an Adaptec 1540B or Future Domain (model not
> know) SCSI card in, to run an NEC SCSI1 CDR-37 CD-ROM drive, and later on
> a tape unit.

IMHO (as a Linux/UNIX newbee) is that you should *definitely* get a CD-ROM
distribution.  I am using the Slackware Pro 2.0 -- there v 2.1 is being released
next week on CD-ROM, it is supposed to have all the latest v's.

You will (as a newbee) end up *re*installing from your CD-ROM more than once!!!

The Slackware CD-ROM makes installation almost bulletproof.  And they've added
utilities to help in the upgrading process (an inevitability)

Using downloads & floppies (I tried it before going to the CDROM) just will be
more agony than you can imagine, well like I said at the top it's my opinion.

Cheers,

Tom

Linux for a first time user

Post by P. Timmi » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 07:24:52

  All the questions you have asked are answered in the Linux guides,
theres a good selection of material available for ftp from
sunsite.unc.edu. Here is a suggestion I give to many people-
Get the file
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ls-lR
and
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ls-ltR
    Don't post a request for a file if you haven't checked there first.
And if you're having problems with compiling a program, look on those
sites for the binaries. Learn how to search for an expression using the
program 'more' and search for the files you want in ls-lR and ls-ltR.
Also, the file
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/MIRRORS
contains a list of mirrors of the sunsite Linux directory, look for
a site closer to your site if possible, to conserve net bandwidth.
.
  I'd also look in the directory /pub/Linux/docs for specific documents,
the information in /pub/Linux/docs/LDP is quite useful.

--
-       Insert standard disclaimer here.         -
---             --        --                   ---

1. first time Linux user, Need some help.

I have SUSE 8.1 PRO, I downloaded NVchooser to see which are the proper
drivers for my Geforce4 Ti4200 card.

It says download
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm

Problem is, There is no
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm or
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm on NVIDIA'S Website... There is Only
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm

They have NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm, But that for SUSE 8.0

Where can I download the right drivers so I can enable 3D support on my
card.

Thanks in Advance.

I only had linux for a day or too, I really like it, Lots to learn.

I only know some of the console commands, I am learning.

2. SLIP on IRIX 3.3.2

3. Hardware setting - first time linux user

4. Newbie Sparq Drive Install Question

5. First Time User at Linux, HELP!!!

6. XFree 4.3 and S3 Savage4 clone (Vt8364)

7. First time Linux user

8. What happened to Openlook?

9. I am a first time linux user

10. First time Linux user with a simple question

11. Mandrake 9.1 first time linux user

12. first time linux user has questions

13. how to create only one user account on linux and windows 2000 at the same time