Looking for POP3 software (post office protocol ver 3)

Looking for POP3 software (post office protocol ver 3)

Post by r.. » Wed, 27 Apr 1994 04:14:42

Well the subject pretty much says it all.  I found this cute DOS program
that is shareware that provides a front end for internet.  It requires
a SLIP connection but makes navigating the net easy for DOS users.  It
delivers mail using Post Office Protocol Ver 3 and I was hoping someone
knew where I could find a version that was ported to Linux.  I'm really
not even sure what POP3 is.  The only experience I have is with UUCP and
SMTP.  But, it would be nice if my bbs users could use this program to
access the net since most of them are completely baffled by unix.
--
Karl Renaut
SysOp JaxNet BBS (904) 292-4567

Post by ter.. » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 00:20:40

>Well the subject pretty much says it all.  I found this cute DOS program
>that is shareware that provides a front end for internet.  It requires
>a SLIP connection but makes navigating the net easy for DOS users.  It
>delivers mail using Post Office Protocol Ver 3 and I was hoping someone
>knew where I could find a version that was ported to Linux.  I'm really
>not even sure what POP3 is.  The only experience I have is with UUCP and
>SMTP.  But, it would be nice if my bbs users could use this program to
>access the net since most of them are completely baffled by unix.
>--
>Karl Renaut
>SysOp JaxNet BBS (904) 292-4567

POP3 should work on Linux right out of the box. Check to make sure there
is a POP3 line in /etc/inetd.conf. If so, your in business and can try a
connection to your Linux box from you POP mail client.

Terry

     *********    Terry Tanski, B.Sc.
    **********

  ..      ****    Athabasca University        Phone: (403) 675-6339
 ....     ****    Box 10,000                    FAX: (403) 675-6333
..........****    Athabasca, Alberta CANADA

Looking for POP3 software (post office protocol ver 3)

Post by Henry Willia » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 11:06:15

I may be wrong but, I haven't seen a shareware version of POP3 (but you
might check on oak.oakland.edu).

The POP3 that I saw, came as part of the 'FTP Software' package (and some
other packages as well).

Maybe this helps.....

--

(512)305-9865     FAX(512)305-9801

Post by Todd Av » Sun, 08 May 1994 00:30:34

>Subject: Re: Looking for POP3 software (post office protocol ver 3)
>Date: 28 Apr 94 02:06:15 GMT
>I may be wrong but, I haven't seen a shareware version of POP3 (but you
>might check on oak.oakland.edu).

>The POP3 that I saw, came as part of the 'FTP Software' package (and some
>other packages as well).

>Maybe this helps.....

I found POPCLI on Sunsite.  It is a Perl script which was successful in
pulling mail from a POP3 mail server.  It needs mods to split the mail out
into a useful file, but I guess that's what Perl's all about, eh?

Regards,
Todd Aven

>(512)305-9865     FAX(512)305-9801

1. POP Mail (Post-Office Protocol)

The net-2 package has an in.popd. It handles POP-2 and POP-3.  I
recompiled it to use shadow passwds; the normal binary will work if
you don't use shadow passwds (or you can just let people read root's
and anyone else's mail with no password at all if you like :-) It
should work out of the box, if you've managed to get ftpd, telnet
working at all.

As long as /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf is setup with POP, Linux
can act as a POP server.

 John Paul Morrison                     |
 University of British Columbia, Canada | Hey hey!! Ho ho!!
 Electrical Engineering                 | Tax & spend liberals

________________________________________|__________________________________

2. Can't get RSA authentication with ssh

3. Post Office Protocol

4. # IMPOSSIBLE -- GENIUSES GET READY TO BE STUMPED!! #

5. Post Office Protocol (POP-3) question

6. Cylinders

7. Anyone using POP (Post Office Protocol) on Linux

8. Monitors not shutting off

9. pop3.email.msn.com pop3 protocol

10. Looking for '8A1' Message Handling Protocol Software for 3B2

11. Network Time Protocol ver. 3

12. Pop3 not working under RH ver 5

13. Linux "pop3" protocol mail retrieval client?