Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

Post by Thomas M. Payer » Fri, 19 Aug 1994 07:22:01

Hi.  My PC has developed an unusual problem, prbobably hardware
related but I had a few questions that might help isolate it.

The problem is that whenever I boot MS-DOS the system will freeze up
at seemingly random intervals-- sometimes during a directory, sometimes
at the "Enter new time prompt", sometimes in programs.  A virus scan showed
it to be clean, and this occurs for the system on the HD (I only have 5.0) +
several boot disks (all that I tried, including a borrowed 6.2).  It seems
like a major hardware problem.

The wierd part is that I run linux all the time with no such problems.  (I
currently am running 0.99 something, keep telling myself I should upgrade
but lazy).  I even run dosemu from linux (version 0.50 I believe) with no
problems other than speed (and a few problems with certain games which I
suspect are emulation problems-- rather regular and immediate).

For completeness, the system is an aging Zeos 386SX 16MHz, 12Meg RAM, and
340Meg Maxtor HD split btwn DOS and linux.

My general impression was that linux is a tougher test of hardware than
DOS, so this problem seems baffling.  The most sensible solution I can see
is a problem with the BIOS.  I just wanted to check a few "facts" before
considering finding new BIOS chips (assuming its possible, a AMI-386 cw 1989),

1) Linux does not use any BIOS routines except perhaps in early stages of
booting, rest of the stuff is handled by kernel, etc?
(An aside, my PC on rare occasions locks up on reboot, a ctrl-alt-del will
get it going though)

2) DOSEMU dos not use BIOS at all (DOSEMU uses linux kernel to emulate them)?

If anyone could verify the above "facts", or if anyone has any suggestions
brilliant or otherwise as to what the problem might be (or where to get
some 386 BIOSes cheap), I'd be grateful.  Until then, my PC is a linux-only
box (not too bad a loss, but miss a few games).

                                Thanks,
                                Tom Payerle

1. XDMCP and networked PC's running Lan WorkPlace for Dos and PC-XView

Thanks to everyone who answered, I have my X-station up and running
X11r4 with borrowed memory :)
Now I've moved on to another problem.  We have about 5 or 6 PC's
that are on an ethernet network.  A couple are running DesqView/X, and the
rest are running PC-XView.  The problem is that I cannot get PC-XView
to connect to the RS6000.  DesqView/X works fine.  Unfortunately most of
the PC's don't have the resources to run DesqView/X so I really need to
get PC-XView working.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that rmsh and rexec
are not working right in PC-XView (even though it works fine with
an SCO box).  So I thought I'd use XDMCP.  But I can find nothing
on how to use it.  PC-XView allows for broadcast, indirect and direct.
But what do I have to do on the RS6000?  And where is the program xdm?
Don't I need that program to do this?

--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

2. Apache Virtual Server

3. To get into dos/win PC's HD via linux

4. Install xi740 in SuSE 6.2

5. Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

6. Q: disk copy to create bootable disk

7. Perl CGI written in DOS - won't run

8. My external ISDN (ELCON) work just like normal modem .. slow

9. DOS-Emulator won't run!

10. DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

11. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

12. Help: Rebooted linux-mandrake 6.0 - now it won't run

13. Linux won't run ifconfig - help