SCSI Tape -- what /dev/?

Post by MIGUEL PALACI » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 05:18:55

I have a future domain SCSI card recognizing my tape drive - a tecmar 2Gb DAT
drive.  What is the device file I have to use to use tar?  The SCSI HOWTO
says I should use a /dev/rst and /dev/nrst.  Can't find anything like it
in my /dev directory.  (I have Ygg. Fall 94).

While I am at it, what is the real application of the rewindable device
driver vs. the non-rewindabable device driver?  Just to rewind at the end
of the restore or backup or what?

Thanks in advance.

Miguel

SCSI Tape -- what /dev/?

Post by Wolfgang Kaltho » Mon, 28 Nov 1994 18:00:47

Quote:>I have a future domain SCSI card recognizing my tape drive - a tecmar 2Gb DAT
>drive.  What is the device file I have to use to use tar?  The SCSI HOWTO
>says I should use a /dev/rst and /dev/nrst.  Can't find anything like it
>in my /dev directory.  (I have Ygg. Fall 94).

scsi-tapes are:
/dev/st0  maj 9 min 0   rewind
/dev/nst0 maj 9 min 128 norewind

Quote:>While I am at it, what is the real application of the rewindable device
>driver vs. the non-rewindabable device driver?  Just to rewind at the end
>of the restore or backup or what?

if you want to write more than one session to a tape you need norewind.

have fun
wolfgang
--

D-13355 Berlin       | I nformation Systems | Tel: +49-30-4673-2951 Fax: 2915

1. SCSI tape problem - /dev/rct0

OSE5.0.0d; Exabyte 8200 tape on ID 3; Adaptec 2740. The Exabyte is the
the only configured tape, and is set as default, though I have an
ARCHIVE VIPER on ID 2.

I used a crontab entry using a script to call cbackup, to do a complete
backup after close of business; every morning, I'd come in to find
multiple mail messages saying the backup failed - couldn't open
/dev/rct0. I just tried it with Lone-Tar, and the same thing happens.

I can do

# cpio -ivt < /dev/rct0

and get a tape listing.

If I use scoadmin to do a manual backup, I select "SCSI Tape Drive 0",
and have no problems; I've tried without success to locate which device
this points to. I've also tried other devs in crontab - rStp0, xct0
etc, and checked perms in /dev.

Can anyone tell me where I might find the mysterious "SCSI Tape Drive
0" that I use in scoadmin? Or why my backups are failing with
/dev/rct0, when it's accessible from the command line?

[Additional note]
I had trouble in the recent past with multiple entries
for both drives; couldn't get rid of them, so I took out their
(routing?) entries from the relevant space.h file, where they were
accumulating; at one time, I had two entries for each drive; relinking
appeared "faultless", and leaves me with just the Exabyte, according
to mkdev tape. There were also multiple entries in another Stp file,
which I also removed.

--
P.R.John

2. Seagate 20GB IDE Tape problem -- DSC Timeouts

3. 2 problems: SCSI tape & /dev/cua?

4. How to write an autorespond program

5. default scsi tape is /dev/nst0 with 1.2.13 - can't get rid of it

6. network

7. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

8. KDE pb ..SOS

9. SCSI Tape "Unable to get major 9 for SCSI Tapes"

10. /dev/stX scsi tape I/O error

11. Help please: SCSI tape (/dev/nst0) I/O errors with tar

12. not enought devices avaliable in /dev/ when trying to use 4 scsi tapes

13. tape drive /dev/rst11 instead of /dev/rmt/0