DOS disk on extended partition screws Linux

DOS disk on extended partition screws Linux

Post by Zhenya Sorok » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 00:42:29

Hi,
I have a primary DOS disk c: (/dev/hda1) and a logical DOS disk d: on
an extended partition (/dev/hda5 on /dev/hda2). Both are MSDOS > 16 MB
and are correctly recognized by both DOS and Linux fdisk.

I'd like to see them from Linux as, say, /c and /d. The disk c: gets
mounted on /c without any problems (either in fstab or manually). However,
if I mount disk d: as /d then first attempt to ls /d screws Linux vtty!
It starts writing pseudographics instead of characters on screen (numbers
and characters like .,/ etc. remain). Also find command seemingly considers
files as directories and searches entire files.

I'm really desperate since it is exactly disk d: (not c:!) which contains
our data to be processed under Linux.

Any ideas?

--
Zhenya Sorokin

Paper-mail : E. Sorokin, Gusshausstr. 27/359-9, 1040 Vienna, Austria
Voice-mail : +43(1)58801-3801, -3948
Flame-mail : /dev/null

1. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)
i have 10G removable hard drives
i am trying to put a file system on it to allow access by both linux and
NT
linux won't mount an ntfs file system
the NT person put 4 primary (?) dos partitions on the disk
and if i run fdisk in linux it sees 4 FAT16 partitions
but it will only let me mount the first one

how do i mount the other 3 ?

is there some special way the disk needs to be formated by NT ?

thanks for any help,
dan

2. 5 minute limit on remote X sessions

3. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

4. Linus NAT as firewall.

5. dos won't recognize my extended dos partition

6. export of sys_call_table

7. DOS extended partition -> swap partition

8. can't find cdrom

9. What partition sysid is OK for extended DOS partition mount?

10. Partitioning does not work on extended DOS-Partition

11. Lilo, DOS, OS/2 Linux and extended partitions

12. Mounting an extended DOS partition on LINUX

13. Can I use extended partition of Linux/DOS