printing problem: /dev/lp1 no such device

printing problem: /dev/lp1 no such device

Post by Giovanni Chieric » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody, I'm having some problem with my printer,
and epson stylus 440.

It was working fine until I upgraded to kernel 2.2.4,
and now it doesn't want to work anymore.
even from printtool, when I try with "print ASCII directly
to port" it says:
couldn't write file "/dev/lp1": no such device.

I can't even send ">" anything to the printer it says
"operation not supported by device"

these are the permissons on teh printer

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     daemon     6,   1 Jan  1  1980 /dev/lp1

thanks to anybody who will help me :-)

giovanni

:
: It was working fine until I upgraded to kernel 2.2.4,
: and now it doesn't want to work anymore.
: even from printtool, when I try with "print ASCII directly
: to port" it says:
: couldn't write file "/dev/lp1": no such device.
:
: I can't even send ">" anything to the printer it says
: "operation not supported by device"
:
: these are the permissons on teh printer
:
: crw-rw-rw-   1 root     daemon     6,   1 Jan  1  1980 /dev/lp1

The /dev/lp1 file is going to be there whether you have a printer port or not,
since it's just a means of determining the device's "major and minor" numbers
(the 6, 1 in the ls -l output).

Since you just upgraded to a new kernel, it's possible that the printer
support was not built, or was not built correctly.  Check your configuration
(/usr/src/linux/.config under "Character devices") to see if you've enabled
printer support.

        Stu

Post by Joel Hatto » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> : Hi everybody, I'm having some problem with my printer,
> : and epson stylus 440.

I had the same trouble while trying to build a modular kernel, no matter
what I did it just didn't want to support my printer - I gave up and built
a monolithic kernel with parallel support and ok now :)

joel

--
Client Services, ITS (fondly remembered as The Prentice Centre)
                        University of Queensland

1. printing problems: /dev/lp1: No such device

I have been trying to get my HP DeskJet 500C to work under Linux.  I read in
the howto that a simple ls > /dev/lp1 should work as a test for any printer.
This does not work on my system.  Here is waht I have done.

#ls > /dev/lp1
bash: /dev/lp1: No such device

But there is a device.  A ls -al lp* in the /dev directory shows:

crw-rw---- 1 root  lp    6,   0 Nov 30  11:30  lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root  lp    6,   1 Nov 30  11:30  lp1

I have the printer attached to the DOS "LPT1" that is IRQ7, address 3F8H.  The
howto says that this port is lp1.  I have tried to ls > /dev/lp0 also, but the
same error appears (with lp1 replaced by lp0).

Do I need to remove the devices and recreate them with mknod, or is there some
other fix to this?

I have tried with and without the lpd daemon running also (if that helps).

Thanks in advance for any insights-

Jason

2. MRTG Gives funny graphs, and incorrect statistics..

3. Printing, /dev/lp1 no such devices

4. Networker Printer HOWTO?

5. Problem: /dev/lp1 No such device

6. Uninstalling Apache

7. problem: cat file > /dev/lp1 ... no such device

8. NFS problems with large file transfers

9. Printing Problem: Not even 'ls > /dev/lp1' works!!!

10. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

11. Printing problem : ls > /dev/lp0 -- /dev/lp0 : No Such Device ?

12. /dev/lp1: No such device...

13. bash: /dev/lp1: No such device