Mitsumi FX001D and Linux problem

Post by Hyung-song N » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 12:21:51

hello,
        I have a SoundBlaster 16 and a mitsumi fx001D connected to the SB. I
recompiled the kernel for SB and the CDROM support, and the sound card seems to work fine, but the cdrom is not working properly. I have set the IRQ to 10 and
changed the dip switch on the SB card, but when i boot up linux, i get the
following:
mcd=0x300,10, init failed. no mcd device at 0x300, irq 10.

        I guess 300 is the DMA channel for the cdrom, but i don't know how to change it. I really don't know. Does anyone have any ideas?
thanx

--
    /    / /-----  /\   / | Hyung-song Nam              | "Words...can

Post by Matija Nal » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 08:49:22

: hello,
:       I have a SoundBlaster 16 and a mitsumi fx001D connected to the SB. I
: recompiled the kernel for SB and the CDROM support, and the sound card seems to work fine, but the cdrom is not working properly. I have set the IRQ to 10 and
: changed the dip switch on the SB card, but when i boot up linux, i get the
: following:
: mcd=0x300,10, init failed. no mcd device at 0x300, irq 10.

:       I guess 300 is the DMA channel for the cdrom, but i don't know how to change it. I really don't know. Does anyone have any ideas?
: thanx

No, 300 is port adress, not DMA channel. DMA channels have much smaller
numbers, such as 7 or 5 :)

is your CD working under DOS ? If it is, which drivers does it start ? Does
it start something like cdsetup.sys befor mtmcdae.sys ? What port
mtmcdae.sys is using (/p parameter, that should be about 300, or 330, or
something near it). That adress you should put in
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/mcd.h and recompile kernel.

If it is all set OK, than that might be a problem I had with mitsumi
connected to MediaExpert SB 16 compatibile card. For CD to work under DOS,
it had to start cdsetup.sys from config.sys before mtmcdae.sys. So I
dissassembled that cdsetup.sys and made a linux patch (with specific
addresses that suits my system :). Worked after that.

Then again, maybe the best solution is to leave Mitsumi CDROM propriaty card
and set it on 0x300, IRQ 10 and leave in peace. I would have done it if I
could spare a slot...

Well hope something of all this helps...

Matija

Post by Marc Schroed » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 20:21:00

: hello,
:       I have a SoundBlaster 16 and a mitsumi fx001D connected to the SB. I
: recompiled the kernel for SB and the CDROM support, and the sound card seems to work fine, but the cdrom is not working properly. I have set the IRQ to 10 and
: changed the dip switch on the SB card, but when i boot up linux, i get the
: following:
: mcd=0x300,10, init failed. no mcd device at 0x300, irq 10.

:       I guess 300 is the DMA channel for the cdrom, but i don't know how to change it. I really don't know. Does anyone have any ideas?
: thanx

I have a SB16 and Mitsumi CD connected to it too;
yet  I am booting with the install - bootdisk 'cause the bootdisk or LILO
that I create during setup (slackware) dont find my NCR PCI SCSI HD.
At LILO prompt I type
                mount root=/dev/sda3 mcd=0x340,10
To find out what port address (0x3?0) you have configured, see your DOS
config.sys. As far as I know, the port address can only be changed by DIP -
switches when connected to the whatever-the-thing-is-called-card delivered
with the Mitsumi Drive, not when it is connected to the SB16.
Hope this helps
Marc.

1. Mitsumi FX001D - no boot disk works - solved the problem!

In a previous post, I wrote that neither mitsumi nor amitsumi would recoginize
my CD drive, with or without boot parameters. To the people that emailed me
with suggestions, thanks. Apparently, some Mitsumi drives are OK with the
current boot disk images, and others are not.

Since Red Hat's boot/image found the CD, I first tried the suggestion to
install Slackware from Red Hat. After much frustration, I gave that up. Each
distribution expects the CD and the target Linux partition to be in hard to
figure out places. Plus, I had to keep adding directories into the PATH to see
the correct programs, often causing other anomolies.

The suggestion to load Slackware from a DOS partition, just enough of it to be
able to build a new kernel, worked great :). Specifying Mitsumi and ISO9660
support when configuring the kernel work fine to see my CD.

 ______    _____ _               _
|  ____|  / ____| |             | |
| |__    | (___ | |__   __ _  __| | ___

|______| |_____/|_| |_|\__,_|\__,_|\___|

2. Gnuplot and GNU plotutils-2.2 on RH Linux 6.0 - Xlib errors?

3. Problems with my Mitsumi FX001D under the latest versions of FreeBSD

4. iBCS doesn't work!

5. Problem with Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive FX001D

6. AIX Sys Admin Jobs, North Chicago

7. Problem with Mitsumi FX001D CDROM on SoundBlaster MCD16

8. Do I need XFree86 After Installing Accelerated-X?

9. Problem with mounting Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM during installation of Slackware 2.0

10. 1.1.94 Kernel +NCR810 + Quantum LPS540 + Mitsumi 2x FX001D Problem

11. Funny Problems with Mitsumi FX001D

12. Linux with SCSI HD and Mitsumi FX001d?

13. HELP! linux won't recognize mitsumi fx001d