UMSDOS filesystem check ??

Post by Wolfgang Feldma » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 05:24:28

I just reinstalled linux and this time on a UMSDOS file system. It works just
fine except for that file system check at boot time.
I have to mount / read-write but then linux complains and tells me to mount
it read-only and run rdev -R /vmlinuz 1 which doesn't help at all.
It might be that i ruined som files that's specific for UMSDOS (in /etc/rc.d ?)
when I backed back my old linux over the new minimal setup.
Could I get any hel on this please?

Wolfgang Feldmann

UMSDOS filesystem check ??

Post by Jacques Gelin » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 12:06:14

>I just reinstalled linux and this time on a UMSDOS file system. It works just
>fine except for that file system check at boot time.
>I have to mount / read-write but then linux complains and tells me to mount
>it read-only and run rdev -R /vmlinuz 1 which doesn't help at all.
>It might be that i ruined som files that's specific for UMSDOS (in /etc/rc.d ?)
>when I backed back my old linux over the new minimal setup.
>Could I get any hel on this please?

There is no really automated strategy to incorporate umsdos checking
with the automated fsck at boot time. One trick to shut it off
is to link /etc/fs/fsck.umsdos to /bin/true. This is true for
the slackware distribution at least.

I know that there is a DOS fsck available for linux but I don't know much
about it.

The solution I am looking for is something a little bit like what
is already in EXT2. Some sort of dirty flag. In fact what I have
in mind is some sort of special file in the root of the msdos
partition. The idea is to allow the checking from both DOS or linux
whichever OS you boot first. This file would be either updated/erased
when the file system is unmounted properly and created/updated
when it is mounted. It could hold some counter like EXT2.

Using a simple file allows both DOS autoexec.bat or linux to probe
its content easily. Anyway, I have no idea where to store this
information wihtout breaking something int the DOS file system.

Suggestion are welcome.

1. Help:about booting the linux with UMSDOS filesystem

Hi,

I have installed the Linux on my PC(pentium100, 16MRAM).
But I have a problem with booting the Linux with UMSDOS filesystem.

My booting environment is as following :
 kernel file name  : vmlinuz.
 graphic adaptor   : VGA/EGA
 driver of linux directory   : D:\

I have run the loadlinx.exe as following :
 d:\loadlin\loadlinx d:\linux\vmlinuz root=d: vga=3;
After executing the command above, my harddisk driver was running
but monitor is out of order.
What is the problem of booting?
Please let me know how to boot the Linux with UMSDOS filesystem.

Your prompt respons will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Byeong-soo Yun

2. upgrading to gcc 2.6.xxx

3. Help! VFS: mounted root (umsdos filesystem)

4. How to debug the modules?

5. Can Redhat 6.2 run on Umsdos filesystems(FAT32)?Answer to my E-mail PLEASE.

6. Make_error

7. Filesystem Umsdos alpha 0.1 available

8. Cable & ADSL at the same time?

9. Help:"swap -c.."linux partition on umsdos filesystem

10. Non-root UMSDOS filesystems

11. umsdos-like filesystem on pcnfs

12. Possible Future Problem: UMSDOS filesystem in Windows95

13. UMSDOS root filesystem gets mounted as MSDOS