linux installation on Gateway 2000

Post by Gary D » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 09:03:38

     A couple of weeks ago I posted the following:

Quote:>    I am experiencing some difficulty installing what I believe is the
>latest version of SLS linux on my Gateway 2000 system.  The system
>is now more than two years old.  It is a 33 MHz 486 DX, EISA, with 16 Mb of RAM
>and an AdapTek 1742 SCSI controller. The boot floppy seems to properly identify
>all of the hardware, including the two 530 MB drives, one Max Tour and one
>Quantum. The problem appears to be a memory problem, but it is not clear.
>The final messages issued are:

>Kernel panic :
>In swapper task - not syncing
>Unable to initialize buffer free list

    A couple of people suggested that I try one of the slakware boot
floppies.  This I have done with a similar result.  I wonder if anyone out
there has successfully installed linux on a Gateway 2000 486 EISA
that is about the same age as mine.  I have a couple of other reasons to
think that my particular system board is a piece-a-junk.  I think I am
going to resolve the problem by replacing my system board.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Sun, 14 Aug 1994 09:08:14

:      A couple of weeks ago I posted the following:

: >    I am experiencing some difficulty installing what I believe is the
: >latest version of SLS linux on my Gateway 2000 system.  The system
: >is now more than two years old.  It is a 33 MHz 486 DX, EISA, with 16 Mb of RAM
: >and an AdapTek 1742 SCSI controller. The boot floppy seems to properly identify
: >all of the hardware, including the two 530 MB drives, one Max Tour and one
: >Quantum. The problem appears to be a memory problem, but it is not clear.
: >The final messages issued are:
: >
: >Kernel panic :
: >In swapper task - not syncing
: >Unable to initialize buffer free list
: >
: >

:     A couple of people suggested that I try one of the slakware boot
: floppies.  This I have done with a similar result.  I wonder if anyone out
: there has successfully installed linux on a Gateway 2000 486 EISA
: that is about the same age as mine.  I have a couple of other reasons to
: think that my particular system board is a piece-a-junk.  I think I am
: going to resolve the problem by replacing my system board.

: Does anyone have a better idea?

Nope... you could have a flakey cache chip or a bad cache addressing line.
I went through two bizarrely behaving motherboards (not Gateways, but another
clone) before finding one that would work properly!  Of course the BIOS checks
ran fine (they're NWAS) and the boot-virus (DOS) was too stupid to detect any
errors, but the Linux swapper task would fail almost immediately.  You might
try turning off the cache and see if it is fixed or not, but I'd be inclined
to get another motherboard.

-- Mark

--
"Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."

+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

Post by John Hort » Tue, 16 Aug 1994 22:17:59

>     A couple of weeks ago I posted the following:

>>    I am experiencing some difficulty installing what I believe is the
>>latest version of SLS linux on my Gateway 2000 system.  The system
>>is now more than two years old.  It is a 33 MHz 486 DX, EISA, with 16
Mb of RAM
>>and an AdapTek 1742 SCSI controller. The boot floppy seems to properly
identify
>>all of the hardware, including the two 530 MB drives, one Max Tour and
one
>>Quantum. The problem appears to be a memory problem, but it is not
clear.
>>The final messages issued are:

>>Kernel panic :
>>In swapper task - not syncing
>>Unable to initialize buffer free list

>    A couple of people suggested that I try one of the slakware boot
>floppies.  This I have done with a similar result.  I wonder if anyone
out
>there has successfully installed linux on a Gateway 2000 486 EISA
>that is about the same age as mine.  I have a couple of other reasons to
>think that my particular system board is a piece-a-junk.  I think I am
>going to resolve the problem by replacing my system board.

>Does anyone have a better idea?

I read the above message with interest.  I have a Gateway 486-33 EISA
machine with 24MB RAM, 2 Maxtor harddrives, and a DPT 20220/95 SCSI
Controller.  I am able to boot from 1.2 floppies and start the Linux
kernal but my SCSI disk drives are not recognized.  At this point, I do
not know how to load Linux onto my system. I have the OS2 boot manager
loaded, have created a partition, and made it installable.

My question is how do I get Linux to recognize my SCSI controller and
cards?  Linux Setup gives me an error and fdisk does not recognize
/dev/sda1.  I seem to be missing a step toward completing the
installation of the  OS.

Thanks in advance.

John Horton

1. SLS installation on Gateway 2000

    I am experiencing some difficulty installing what I believe is the
latest version of SLS linux on my Gateway 2000 system.  The system
is now more than two years old.  It is a 33 MHz 486 DX with 16 Mb of RAM
and an AdapTek 1742 SCSI controller. The boot floppy seems to properly identify
all of the hardware, including the two 530 MB drives, one Max Tour and one
Quantum. The problem appears to be a memory problem, but it is not clear.
The final messages issued are:

Kernel panic :
In swapper task - not syncing
Unable to initialize buffer cache

Can anyone give me a hint as to what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

2. SCSI card install

3. Red HAt 4.2 & Gateway 2000 G6-266 w/UDAM Controller installation

4. Platform Independce Weekend...

5. Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V installation problem (mouse)

6. kfm crashes x

7. Gateway 2000 laptop w/Gateway SCSI PCMCIA

8. SHUTDOWN SCRIPT

9. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

10. Windows 2000 clients can't obtain gateway from Linux server

11. Gateway 2000 Might Install Linux for You

12. LINUX on Gateway-2000 Liberty

13. Setting up shared Internet connection with a Linux client with a Windows 2000 server (gateway)