Can I use Long File Names s/w with Linux-->DOS?

Can I use Long File Names s/w with Linux-->DOS?

Post by Charles Ehrlic » Sun, 08 Jan 1995 17:03:51

I have a DOS application that was ported from unix which causes
me a lot of pain because it insists on creating files with long file
names.  I have to do backflips to change the data structure in order
to get data out of it.

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to use the new software
called "Long File Names?"  If so, has anyone tried to access a DOS
partition with LFN installed on it through Linux as a mounted
partition?  Does anyone know if there is anything fundamentally
limiting about DOS/Linux which would cause problems in the use
of LFN even if they haven't used it?

Much thanks.  Please reply to this group and my e-mail:

-Chas

1. How to upgrade Linux file system to support long file name (>14)?

Hi,

I have a old Linux system installed two years ago, its file system only
support short file name (length <= 14 characters), may I know what is the
best way to upgrade it to support long file name? Do I have to reinstall
kernel?

Thanks

Lixian

2. Solstice Backup 4.2 - how to set this schedule?

3. How can I preserve dos long file names in Linux?

4. Wierd X behaviour OSR-5

5. Dos long file names support for 1.3.49?

6. Diskless clients

7. mount DOS to recognize long file name

8. Linux Software Root Raid Recovery scenario

9. long file names in DOS

10. DOS long file name

11. Long file names on DOS partition?

12. 2.5.1 and DOS long file names