Q: olvwm with nice icons - How?

Post by Michael Metzg » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 22:18:35

Hi out there!

I am using Linux + X + olvwm and I think this compination is
great.
There is just one drawback concerning the last component.
The olvwm-icons are ugly and don't cooperate with nice
root-pictures (xearth, nice bitmaps ...).
I don't consider myself as a novice anymore but I couldn't
find a possibility to change the icons.

Is it possible? Who knows the answer?

Q: olvwm with nice icons - How?

Post by Michael Metzg » Mon, 14 Nov 1994 03:17:29

: Hi out there!

: I am using Linux + X + olvwm and I think this compination is
: great.
: There is just one drawback concerning the last component.
: The olvwm-icons are ugly and don't cooperate with nice
: root-pictures (xearth, nice bitmaps ...).
: I don't consider myself as a novice anymore but I couldn't
: find a possibility to change the icons.

: Is it possible? Who knows the answer?

This is the most contructive answer that reached me. Thank you Andy!

>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 12:48:13 +0500

>Subject: Re: Q: olvwm with nice icons - How?

>You can't change them (at least not the way you want).
>They are in most cases compiled in to the program. If not compiled
>in, you get a default ugly bitmap.

>Some well-behaved programs have an option to set an icon image.
>For xview programs try -WI /pathname/to/icon/file where the icon
>format matches those found in /usr/openwin/include/images/*.icon

>--

>Andy Tefft

Q: olvwm with nice icons - How?

Post by Michael Metzg » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 20:58:03

: : Hi out there!

: : I am using Linux + X + olvwm and I think this compination is
: : great.
: : There is just one drawback concerning the last component.
: : The olvwm-icons are ugly and don't cooperate with nice
: : root-pictures (xearth, nice bitmaps ...).
: : I don't consider myself as a novice anymore but I couldn't
: : find a possibility to change the icons.

: : Is it possible? Who knows the answer?

: This is the most contructive answer that reached me. Thank you Andy!

: >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 12:48:13 +0500

: >Subject: Re: Q: olvwm with nice icons - How?
: >
: >You can't change them (at least not the way you want).
: >They are in most cases compiled in to the program. If not compiled
: >in, you get a default ugly bitmap.
: >
: >Some well-behaved programs have an option to set an icon image.
: >For xview programs try -WI /pathname/to/icon/file where the icon
: >format matches those found in /usr/openwin/include/images/*.icon
: >
: >
: >--
: >
: >Andy Tefft

Here comes a better answer from Matthias Pfuetzner. I translate it from german:

The olvwm doesn't have a global resource for icons like the mwm (Mwm*iconImage)
but it is still possible to change the icons since there should be a resource
like *iconPixmap or *iconImage for the application. To find this out editres
could help if the application understands the required protocol.

Matthias says it is possible to load all sorts of format (including xpm and TIF)
as long as it is the olvwm (and not the olwm) we talk about. Also transparent
icons should be possible if a *iconMask is defined. I tried it with xpm-Icons
from the ctwm but it hasn't worked so far.

Michael Metzger                                  voice +49 6131 834186

55130 Mainz

1. Nice. Nice nice nice.

So I'd heard about this Linux thing - let's face it, you can't spend
any more than a year online and NOT hear about it unless you're under
some cybernetic rock - and always felt I ought to give it a try at
some point. Picked up the friendly yellow 'For Dummies' book which
came with three CDs of RH7.0. Lots of nice hand-holding throughout the
install process (which got me safely through a major glitch when the X
installer, starting up reasonably enough in a no-risk 640x480, got the
screen geometry totally wrong and was illegible, and pointed me in the
right direction for LOADLIN when lilo couldn't cope with Linux being
at the back end of a big drive) and I soon got into the OS. Got it
online, no worries. Well, this is nice, I said to myself, but
eventually I largely forgot about the system lurking at the other end
of my drive and returned through force of habit to Windows95.

But not willing to just plain give up (there's a principle involved,
dammit!) I sent off for the RH7.2 CDs when it came out. Fifteen quid.
Well, bugger me sideways... this new KDE is seriously slick, it just
*feels* faster, smoother, the lot. I'd imagine a lot of the discussion
of new distributions on here centres on technical aspects of kernels
and so forth, but speaking as a Windows refugee fleeing the imminent
prospect of XP's Big Brother pirate protection, it's looking like
Linux can become a happy home.

So much so, in fact, that I'm planning on getting myself a new
computer in a year or so, and having whatever the latest RH Linux is
as the main OS. Bill's not seeing another penny if I can help it...
(he says, posting with a Hotmail address in a slightly embarrassed
tone)

Odds are a fair number of people reading had some input into this nice
new OS I'm using now, so I just have to say, thanks guys.

2. Rdump from BSDI to Sequent

3. xpm icons in olvwm instead of xbm?

4. Comtrol-M with iPlanet scheduling problem

5. Icon color problem on olvwm

6. Setting up "funky" user account

7. how to increase icon's color in olvwm?

8. xlock is setuid root!?

9. Invisible icons under olvwm in 24bit

10. mirrored icons in olvwm, XFree86 from slackware 2.1 (Linux)

11. xterm icon labels in olvwm

12. icons under OLVWM

13. olvwm-icons