possible solution for /etc/passwd problems

possible solution for /etc/passwd problems

Post by Eric B. Hymowi » Thu, 10 Feb 1994 11:01:21

there were two recent questions about fixing a messed-up /etc/passwd.

both times i mailed answers. the second querent (and to think i failed out
of college knowing words like 'querent') told me that out of twenty responses,
only two offerred my (working) suggestion. he said i should post it. here
it is.

many versions of su allow a -s flag which will supply a shell.
so if you can't log in as root because the login shell is messed up, you
can log in as a user, type

su root -s /path/myshell

and have a working root shell.

apologies to those who knew this for wasting your time.

105.7 WQSR - the longer you listen, ... uh, the later it gets.
105.7 WQSR - of all the radio stations in baltimore, ... we're one of them.