Panasonic CR562B CD install probs

Post by M. Ro » Sat, 05 Nov 1994 05:39:59

Quote:

>I have recently obtained a copy of yggdrasil plug and play linux (Fall 1994).
>I am unable to install this onto my machine. I have a Panasonic CR 562 B
>CDROM drive which is controlled from a MediaVision ProSonic 16 Sound Card. I
>have the I/O address on the controller card set to 300h. runlinux command on the cd, but this fails with an emm386 error.

>I have tried using the revision C boot diskette with no luck. I have also
>tried using (at the boot prompt) linux sbpcd=0x300,11 and also
>linux sbpcd=0x300,7. The ProSonic card does not seem to use an IRQ number that
>I can discover.

Dear Phil,
   First of all may I take this oppurtunity to '' Welcome you to the Club''
      The problems you mentioned are very common. To speak of my
    situation, I have a SoundBlaster/ Panasonic CD, I have been trying

         The version I am using was Slackware .
        I have tried forcing the system to '' Guess'' the interupts Etc. Yet it still
    remains ignorant!
         My system goes through BogoMips and gives me (16.61) then it
    says '' FAILED''.
          The question now is. Am I Ignorant or is my computer just '' Dumb''

          Moral:  Can't wait for Chicago <g>

Quote:>Thanks for any help.

Post by Phil How » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 19:53:18

I have recently obtained a copy of yggdrasil plug and play linux (Fall 1994).
I am unable to install this onto my machine. I have a Panasonic CR 562 B
CDROM drive which is controlled from a MediaVision ProSonic 16 Sound Card. I
have the I/O address on the controller card set to 300h. When I boot the
floppy provided my machine comes up with the boot: prompt and after waiting
30 seconds (or pressing return) it starts to load linux. LILO comes up and
says that it is loading linux. Goes past the BogoMips (16.61). It then starts
to come up with various NEC 260 cdrom errors which continue until I get
"Kernel Panic: Unable to mount root". I have also tried to boot using the
runlinux command on the cd, but this fails with an emm386 error.

I have tried using the revision C boot diskette with no luck. I have also
tried using (at the boot prompt) linux sbpcd=0x300,11 and also
linux sbpcd=0x300,7. The ProSonic card does not seem to use an IRQ number that
I can discover.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

Panasonic CR562B CD install probs

Post by Grant Bro » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 12:52:11

<<Initial Message Deleted>>

>Dear Phil,
>   First of all may I take this oppurtunity to '' Welcome you to the Club''
>      The problems you mentioned are very common. To speak of my
>    situation, I have a SoundBlaster/ Panasonic CD, I have been trying

>         The version I am using was Slackware .
>        I have tried forcing the system to '' Guess'' the interupts Etc. Yet it still
>    remains ignorant!
>         My system goes through BogoMips and gives me (16.61) then it
>    says '' FAILED''.

>>Thanks for any help.

>>Phil

        The symptom you describe here is identical to the one I am
experiencing. I am trying to use a Panasonic 562B/SB16 as well. During the
boot process it checks for the CD-ROM, the CD-ROM busy light comes on
then I get the same report of BogoMips and the dreaded "FAILED" statement.
        I'm using the Slackware Linux from the August '94 Toolkit for LINUX
(Walnut Creek) which uses the 1.0.9 kernel. Not to dishearten you, but
I've been trying to get my CD-ROM working in Linux for 2 Months.
        I'd be happy even if I couldn't install from CD, but could mount it
so I wouldn't have to boot to DOS or OS/2 to get the files I need from it.

        ANY help would be _greatly appreciated_.

Grant :\

Post by je.. » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 11:36:40

><<Initial Message Deleted>>

>>Dear Phil,
>>   First of all may I take this oppurtunity to '' Welcome you to the Club''
>>      The problems you mentioned are very common. To speak of my
>>    situation, I have a SoundBlaster/ Panasonic CD, I have been trying

>>         The version I am using was Slackware .
>>        I have tried forcing the system to '' Guess'' the interupts Etc. Yet it still
>>    remains ignorant!
>>         My system goes through BogoMips and gives me (16.61) then it
>>    says '' FAILED''.

>>>Thanks for any help.

>>>Phil

>    The symptom you describe here is identical to the one I am
>experiencing. I am trying to use a Panasonic 562B/SB16 as well. During the
>boot process it checks for the CD-ROM, the CD-ROM busy light comes on
>then I get the same report of BogoMips and the dreaded "FAILED" statement.
>    I'm using the Slackware Linux from the August '94 Toolkit for LINUX
>(Walnut Creek) which uses the 1.0.9 kernel. Not to dishearten you, but
>I've been trying to get my CD-ROM working in Linux for 2 Months.
>    I'd be happy even if I couldn't install from CD, but could mount it
>so I wouldn't have to boot to DOS or OS/2 to get the files I need from it.

>    ANY help would be _greatly appreciated_.

>Grant :\

Well, I'm joining the Club as well, I too have the Slackware CD, and an AWE32
and a CR-563, I can install from the CD, but not mount it once it is installed
if you perhaps a solution, I'd love to hear it???

Jere

Panasonic CR562B CD install probs

Post by Grant Bro » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 10:41:26

Quote:

>[stuff deleted]

>Well, I'm joining the Club as well, I too have the Slackware CD, and an AWE32
>and a CR-563, I can install from the CD, but not mount it once it is installed
>if you perhaps a solution, I'd love to hear it???

>Jere

What message do you get when you try to mount the CD-ROM? I got mine
to install by changing my CD-ROM drive ID to zero instead of one. After
installing from the CD, I had to recompile the kernel with CD-ROM
support (I found this strange since I installed using the SBPCD boot
disk). I made sure I included Panasonic/Matsushita CD-ROM and ISO9660
support when I ran "make config".

Try that and good luck!.

Grant

1. SB16/MCD Panasonic CD Linux Install probs

I am trying to install Linux from CD, and have a Soundblaster 16mcd with
generic Panasonic cd-563 cdrom, with the sb16 on default settings.  System is
486/66, 24mb ram, 850md ide c: drive and 340mb ide d: drive, and I've
partitioned the 340 mb for 300mb Linux partition and 40mb swap file.

I've created boot and root disks, and the boot disk comes up fine, finds all
the partitions, and finds the cd-rom.  After I log in as root, and run the
setup program, go through all the partition setups/target partition setups, I
get to the source setup.

When I select "install from cdrom", and select the "Soundblaster Pro cd"
/dev/sbpcd driver, the computer pauses for 30 seconds, and then comes back
with an error "Cannot mount cdrom device".

A friend of mine has the exact same cdrom disc, drive, and computer system.
His installed fine using the same procedure that I've tried.  The ONLY
difference in the systems is that he has 16mb of ram, and is using the
standard SoundBlaster 16 (not the MCD version).

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get Linux to install from this cdrom?

Thanks for any info (email if not too much trouble).

2. Configuring modems under Linux

3. LINUX Slakware and panasonic cr562b CDROM

4. need help for installing RTAI on Mandrake linux

5. Panasonic CR562B problem

6. Netscape 4.05 and tgz files

7. Panasonic CR562B CDROM advice requested

8. BASH: moving files (ANSWER!)

9. Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

10. Installing from Matashi/Panasonic CD-ROM CR-574 plugged into Sound Blaster 32

11. Panasonic (Matshita) MO-CD and install

12. Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA CDROM; trouble mounting RedHat 3.0.3 install CD

13. Panasonic 562B CD ROM can't install