MSWORD Doc --> Linux

Post by Ross Boswe » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 05:37:12

: Dos text files end with a CR/LF pair.  UNIX files end with LF only.
: The ^M is the extra CR from dos.  You can get rid of it various ways
: There are some dos to unix utilities that do that.  Depends entirely
: how you are getting the file from Windows to Linux.

How about Unix text --> DOS wordprocessor files.
todos adds CRs, but MSWORD and WordPerfect both want to import files
that have CR/LF to mark paragraph ends, not line ends.
Is there an existing utility that handles this conversion cleanly?

Ross
--
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

| Christchurch School of Medicine         |  FAX      +64 3 364 0750    |
| PO Box 4345, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND  |  Phone    +64 3 364 0590    |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

MSWORD Doc --> Linux

Post by Weiqi G » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 10:34:08

>: Dos text files end with a CR/LF pair.  UNIX files end with LF only.
>: The ^M is the extra CR from dos.  You can get rid of it various ways
>: There are some dos to unix utilities that do that.  Depends entirely
>: how you are getting the file from Windows to Linux.

>How about Unix text --> DOS wordprocessor files.
>todos adds CRs, but MSWORD and WordPerfect both want to import files
>that have CR/LF to mark paragraph ends, not line ends.
>Is there an existing utility that handles this conversion cleanly?

How do you distinguish the paragraph-ending CR/LF's from the non-para-ending
CR/LF's.

To get rid of them all, do "vi document", then hold down the "J" key until
your console beeps.  (sed 's/^M^J//g' should also work.)

Weiqi Gao

MSWORD Doc --> Linux

Post by Allan Nels » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 10:13:06

: How about Unix text --> DOS wordprocessor files.
: todos adds CRs, but MSWORD and WordPerfect both want to import files
: that have CR/LF to mark paragraph ends, not line ends.
: Is there an existing utility that handles this conversion cleanly?

I would probably use todos and then import them as ascii text into
the wp of my choice.  In that case paragraphs are just blank lines.
--
Allan Nelson - Information Resources
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission

1. MSWORD Doc --> Linux vi ?

:       Help! Can anyone please tell me why when I save a document as text only while
: in Windows MSWORD and then I try to edit it in vi it has visable "^M" on the
: end of each line.  When I take them off then it won't print correctly ?  Help!

Dos text files end with a CR/LF pair.  UNIX files end with LF only.
The ^M is the extra CR from dos.  You can get rid of it various ways
There are some dos to unix utilities that do that.  Depends entirely
how you are getting the file from Windows to Linux.

As for the printing, where are you trying to print, dos or linux?
What exactly happens when you try?

--
Allan Nelson - Information Resources
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
Phone:512-239-0787 FAX:512-239-0888

2. XFree86 programs won't start (elf?)

3. Apache server download msword doc scrambles doc

4. 64 vs 32 bit execution

5. msword.doc under Linux

6. Ip_masq modules

7. How read/write msword docs in linux? Please!

8. I'm loking for drivers for Okipage 4W

9. msword.doc under Linux

10. MSWord Headers/Footers >> ascii text file

11. MSWord docs in X

12. converting WP docs to MSWORD

13. Unnecessary password prompt with msword docs