X windows & two monitors

Post by Paul Rober » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:50:37

I am running Linux 1.1.62 and XFree 3.0
I would like to know how I can get X windows to work on two monitors at
once.  The two video cards that I have are a Cirrus Logic 5428 and a
Hercules monochrome.
Or alternatively just one the Herc.

Paul.

--
| Paul Roberts - Computer Programmer at Pasminco Metals EZ (Hobart)           |

| phone : 002 784847 (Australia), +61 02 784847 (International)               |
| All opinions are mine, NOT Pasminco's or Werple/Calvados/Drowse's           |
--
| Paul Roberts - Computer Programmer at Pasminco Metals EZ (Hobart)           |

| phone : 002 784847 (Australia), +61 02 784847 (International)               |
| All opinions are mine, NOT Pasminco's or Werple/Calvados/Drowse's           |

1. FreeBSD & Two Monitors

I have been using FreeBSD 2.2.5 for about 6 months now, and plan to
upgrade soon, but in the meantime, I have a question regarding the
possiblity of using 2 monitors at once.

The kernel has the console defined as "sc0". I looked in the /dev

point it is not a concern but raises a question regarding the reasoning
behind this. (I am fairly new to UNIX in general).

Now, the previous question was asked to provide a basis for the next
question. I wish to install another graphics card in my computer, and
assuming both cards are the same, and both monitors were the same, could I
run FreeBSD 2.2.5, (and up), and provide support for 2 monitors at the
same time. I plan on using XFree86, (XWindows), (I am using it now), but
want to be able to have some windows open on one monitor, and other
windows on the opposite monitor. Is this possible? I understand that there
is a configuration for graphics cards that needs to take place under the
XFree86 platform, so, (here comes the logic regarding the first question:
If "sc0" isnt found in the /dev directory, is there a way to somehow make
a device "sc1", and assign it a different IRQ, etc?

Please understand that I am fairly new to this, but I have been able to
customize the kernel numerous times, and recompile it, and have been quite
successful at running the system, so any and all comments will be highly
appreciated.

Now, to make matters more difficult, assuming the aforementioned can be
accomplished, does the possibility exist to do this with 2 different
graphics cards, and say two different monitors, (I understand that the
scan rates may be different, etc, but know that this can be reconfigured
in I believe the .xinitrc and/or other files). If so, please advise, and
feel free to share in your experience if at all possible.

Thanks much,

Robert

2. The New Guy, making a FreeBSD Box

3. Newbie to two monitors&video cards.....looking for suggestions

4. PPP Dialing for Internet connection

5. Is it possible to use two video cards and two monitors at once ?

6. Linux Ls120 and X Server

7. Two video cards/Two monitors

8. Apache make

9. Two Monitors + Two Keyboards

10. Two cards video and two monitors

11. Bad English (was Re: Two cards video and two monitors)

12. Two monitors under XF86 (NOT dual monitor)

13. Move & Expand windows across Multiple Monitors!! - try