Non-SCSI CD-ROM Drive Drivers in Linux?

Post by Trent Semeni » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 09:09:14

Hello!  I'm currently preparing to buy a PC system (486, of course).  I
know that there are Linux drivers for SCSI CD-ROM drives, but I was kind
of hoping not to have to shell out another $300 for an Adaptec adapter.
So, I think I've seen this question a few other times in this news group,
but I've never seen an answer: are there any Linux drivers for IDE CD-ROM
drives?  If there aren't, there was another way I was thinking of weasling
out of buying a stand-alone SCSI adapter:  I also want to get a sound card,
and I know that the PAS-16 can be bought with a SCSI adapter.  Would this
work with Linux?

Thanks alot for any responses.

Trent *iuk.

--

-----------------------------| Bring your own brain--installations on site!
University of Alberta        |       All vertebrate models in stock!

Non-SCSI CD-ROM Drive Drivers in Linux?

Post by Eberhard Moenkebe » Wed, 04 May 1994 08:26:51

Hello Trent *iuk and all others,

on 29.04.94 Trent *iuk wrote to All in USENET.COMP.OS.LINUX.HELP:

TS> So, I think I've seen this question a few other times in this news group,
TS> but I've never seen an answer: are there any Linux drivers for IDE CD-ROM
TS> drives?

/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/ holds cdu31a.c, mcd.c and sbpcd.c.

All of them work with standalone interfaces and with soundcard interfaces.

Best non-SCSI drive, especially under Linux: Matsushita/Panasonic/CreativeLabs
CR-562 or CR-563. It even reads multisession photoCDs.

Greetings ... Eberhard

1. Installation off non-SCSI SB16 cd-rom drive?

I've looked and looked, and I can't find an answer to that question anywhere.

I remember the last time I looked into linux, you had to have a SCSI drive to
install any of the CD's.  Life for me (a 14400 SLIP user) would not be
pleasent have to download every over the modem.

So, can I in fact now, with the much later and greater version of linux, run,
say the Trans-Ameritech install (of a full system, not a "test" system) with
the cd-rom that is hooked into my SB16 (not the SCSI-II variant).

Thanks tons in advance for a simple yes or no (I hope!) which I couldn't get
from Trans-Ameritech.
--

            "The point of living is to achieve the impossible"

2. WP 6.0 under non Caldera systems

3. Non-SCSI cd-rom

4. Resize-window cursor icon

5. Install from non-SCSI CD-ROM?

6. rsh, rlogin

7. Philips Non-SCSI CD-ROM in Gateway 2K?

8. Lisp

9. non-scsi cd-rom

10. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

11. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

12. Linux will not see the CD in my SCSI CD-ROM drive

13. Do any non-SCSI CD-ROMs work with SCO?