SOLUTIONS TO: /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and 'ps' problems

SOLUTIONS TO: /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and 'ps' problems

Post by Donald Camer » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 07:42:28

Problem #1
----------

After boot my 'ps' command was not working.  My kludge was to use 'mount /proc'

it was:

/dev/hda1 /root ext2 defaults

now its:

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults

problem #2
----------

At boot time I was getting a bunch of weird network errors, I thought this

after a closer look at my /etc/rc srcript I found it already had an 'if[-x /etc/rc.net...' test.  So the solution was

chmod -x /etc/rc.net

problem #3
----------

At boot time I was getting an error from the file 'host.conf', namely:

'multi command inproperly formated'

This also caused problems when I tried to start up X with clients in the .xinitrc because they would try to resolve hostname and hit 'host.conf'
in the process.  After looking at the NET-2-HOWTWO the solution was to change
the 'multi' command in my host.conf file from:

multi

to:

multi on

Thanks for the help!