*NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

*NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

Post by Bill Hog » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 15:09:44

 A couple of days ago, I installed the Slackware D-series that I had
downloaded and stored on a *DOS* partition on my Fujitsu 128MB m.o. scsi
drive (hooray!).

 At one point I was told that I was required to install the Linux kernel
if I wanted to use the C compiler, so I did.

 When there was no more software to install, I was asked (and I think
advised) to make a new boot disk, which I did.

 However, when I tried to 'reboot' using my new boot disk, I got a
"kernel panic" and a dead machine, so I punched the RESET button, but the
same thing happened: kernel panic.

 So, I tried booting with my old boot disk, which worked!

 Question: How come my old boot disk works but my supposedly new boot
disk doesn't?

 Followup: Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just
recycle that "new" boot disk?
--
  Bill Hogan

--
  Bill Hogan

1. tomsrtbt boot disk won't chroot - FATAL: kernel too old

I'm trying to build a Gentoo system (that won't boot the livecd) by
using tomsrtbt.

Everything works great up until I get to the point where I need to
chroot to /mnt/gentoo (ie. chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/sh).

I get an error FATAL: kernel too old

I'm running the latest version of the tomsrtbt boot disk, and it
surprises me that I get this error -- since many people would need to
chroot if they're using the boot disk.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Mike

2. Accessing drives on several SCSI adapters

3. IBM disk as boot disk won't work in SS LX under 2.5.1?

4. How to find the PID of a dead parent ?

5. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

6. Fvwm95 taskbar & maximize Q

7. Linux doesn't boot, old disks on new motherboard

8. Mounting DOS HD Part?

9. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

10. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

11. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)

12. Slackware boot disk won't boot.

13. Installation Problems (Boot Disk Won't Boot!)