SLIP on demand

Post by Daniel Brockha » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 05:02:45

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a method to establish a SLIP connection only when it's needed.
If there is a connection request for an IP address that is only reachable
via SLIP the call should be placed, the SLIP channel initiated and the
connection established. Is this possible?

Thanx, Danny

|   Daniel Brockhaus     | Deserves it! I Daresay he does. Many that live |

|                        | Can you give it to them? Then be not to eager  |
| GerWinNET Support Team | to deal out death in judgement!                |

1. ANNOUNCE: Alpha demand dialer for SLIP/PPP available for testing

I have recently been doing some spare time work on on a daemon to support
dail on demand for both SLIP and PPP links under linux. The daemon
may also work on other platforms, but I can't give and guarrentee's.
My work has now reached a stage where I am ready to do some alpha testing.
If you are interested in testing this code you can find it at:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/diald-0.1.tar.gz

Eventually it should move to:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Network/serial/diald-0.1.tar.gz

Sorry, there are no precompiled binaries in this distribution.

There are some known problems with this release:

* It won't support SLIP links with dynamic IP assignment.
* When using a PPP link if it goes down and comes back up
  (the deamon will force a restablish) your existing TCP
  connections may be frozen. This seems to be a problem in the
  kernel routing code.
* The daemon can go into a loop attempting to restablish
  a connection forever if your modem gets wedge. The daemon
  should really time out.
* The daemon attempts to do a fast link take down when there
  are no TCP connections (6 seconds idle time by
  default). This has two problems:
  - the daemon only knows how to count the total number of TCP
    connections on your system, so if you have a local net the
    number of connections may never go to 0.
  - services that use connectionless protocols, such as Mosaic,
    may cause the link to spend a lot of time going up and coming down.

Suggested fixes to any of these problems are welcome!

Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

--

Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.

2. Which package contains mkimage?

3. Demand SLIP and ISDN queries

4. Signal to Noise...

5. Dial-on-demand slip routing?

6. IDT C6 Winchip for Linux

7. Slip on demand???

8. commercial scale space tourism

9. SLIP Dial on demand ??

10. anyone working on demand slip or ppp?

11. on-demand SLIP connection

12. Linux Demand-based SLIP