lynx2-3-7 segmentation violation signal

Post by roo » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Ok, recompiled lynx 2-3-7 (make linux-ncurses) with some changes to
userdefs.h related to lynxexec, and it works fine from a local machine or
when you telnet into the machine and run it, BUT when you dialin to the unix
box and run the recompiled lynx we get the following message:

                Got a segmentation violation signal,
                cleaning up and exiting
                Floating Point exception

Then you are returned to the unix prompt and able to continue with other
things but no lynx.

We are using agetty for dialin.

        Linux 1.1.59

        Any suggestions ?

Post by Reagan Blunde » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Ok, recompiled lynx 2-3-7 (make linux-ncurses) with some changes to
: userdefs.h related to lynxexec, and it works fine from a local machine or
: when you telnet into the machine and run it, BUT when you dialin to the unix
: box and run the recompiled lynx we get the following message:

:               Got a segmentation violation signal,
:               cleaning up and exiting
:               Floating Point exception

: Then you are returned to the unix prompt and able to continue with other
: things but no lynx.

: We are using agetty for dialin.

:       Linux 1.1.59

:       Any suggestions ?

Make sure you have a terminfo database entry for the TERM type you are
dialed in through.  If curses can not initialise the terminal.. it will
produce that problem

--
Reagan Blundell                     Phone: +61-7 405 5674 (work)
System Operations                          +61-7 371 3237 (home)

Post by Alan F. Per » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>: Ok, recompiled lynx 2-3-7 (make linux-ncurses) with some changes to
>: userdefs.h related to lynxexec, and it works fine from a local machine or
>: when you telnet into the machine and run it, BUT when you dialin to the unix
>: box and run the recompiled lynx we get the following message:

>:           Got a segmentation violation signal,
>:           cleaning up and exiting
>:           Floating Point exception

>: Then you are returned to the unix prompt and able to continue with other
>: things but no lynx.

>: We are using agetty for dialin.

>:   Linux 1.1.59

>:   Any suggestions ?

>Make sure you have a terminfo database entry for the TERM type you are
>dialed in through.  If curses can not initialise the terminal.. it will
>produce that problem

I don't want to encourage these silly people who think the Lynx Web
browser is an Operating System (this newsgroup is called 'comp.os.lynx'.
think about it), but is the Linux curses package so braindead that it
SEGVs if TERM is set to something bogus?

I think I will create a new Web browser and call it 'qnx'.  Hey, Dan,
what do you think?

--
Alan F. Perry

lynx2-3-7 segmentation violation signal

Post by Dan Hildebra » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I don't want to encourage these silly people who think the Lynx Web
>browser is an Operating System (this newsgroup is called 'comp.os.lynx'.
>think about it), but is the Linux curses package so braindead that it
>SEGVs if TERM is set to something bogus?

>I think I will create a new Web browser and call it 'qnx'.  Hey, Dan,
>what do you think?

This would only be worthwhile if you could also convince Atari to rename
one of it's game machines.  :-)

Seriously though, we also used to have name association problems of a sort.
Back when we were called Quantum Software Systems, people though we made
disk drives or something....  Renaming the company after the product
helped.
--

http://www.qnx.com/~danh                    175 Terence Matthews
phone: (613) 591-0931 (voice)               Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8

Post by Alan F. Per » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>I don't want to encourage these silly people who think the Lynx Web
>>browser is an Operating System (this newsgroup is called 'comp.os.lynx'.
>>think about it), but is the Linux curses package so braindead that it
>>SEGVs if TERM is set to something bogus?

>>I think I will create a new Web browser and call it 'qnx'.  Hey, Dan,
>>what do you think?

>This would only be worthwhile if you could also convince Atari to rename
>one of it's game machines.  :-)

And the motherboard manufacturer as well.

However, the real threat seems to be the Web folks.  The Atari Lynx folks
(mostly) got chased out pretty quick and were not as persistent as the
Web Lynx folks. :-)

Quote:>Seriously though, we also used to have name association problems of a sort.
>Back when we were called Quantum Software Systems, people though we made
>disk drives or something....  Renaming the company after the product
>helped.

But, what if it were called QuantumOS?  Quantum, the disk drive company,
wasn't around when QNX chose its name, right?  I guess Lynx is just
gonna have to live with the problem.

--
Alan F. Perry

Post by Greg Seibe » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I don't want to encourage these silly people who think the Lynx Web
>browser is an Operating System (this newsgroup is called 'comp.os.lynx'.
>think about it), but is the Linux curses package so braindead that it
>SEGVs if TERM is set to something bogus?

>I think I will create a new Web browser and call it 'qnx'.  Hey, Dan,
>what do you think?

>--
>Alan F. Perry

What's even worse, Alan, is that these guys probably don't even realize
that they are cross-posting. I thought when you caused this group to
be created the name was quite specific as to its purpose. Lest we digress...
--
--Greg

"Time is always real.           |  San Jose, Ca
 What you do with it isn't."    |  (408) 879-3900

Post by ARK Systems US » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>: Ok, recompiled lynx 2-3-7 (make linux-ncurses) with some changes to
>: userdefs.h related to lynxexec, and it works fine from a local machine or
>: when you telnet into the machine and run it, BUT when you dialin to the unix
>: box and run the recompiled lynx we get the following message:

>:           Got a segmentation violation signal,
>:           cleaning up and exiting
>:           Floating Point exception

>: Then you are returned to the unix prompt and able to continue with other
>: things but no lynx.

>: We are using agetty for dialin.

>:   Linux 1.1.59

>:   Any suggestions ?

>Make sure you have a terminfo database entry for the TERM type you are
>dialed in through.  If curses can not initialise the terminal.. it will
>produce that problem

>--

Before all, make sure you're in a right news group.

hiro
--
ARK Systems USA              | P.O. Box 23

CompuServe: 74464,1751       | Phone:+1(408)244-5358 Fax:+1(408)244-5395

1. Segmentation violation signal

[ linux.txt < 1K ]

Hi all
        If I try to finger a person (actually myself on a different machine)
I get the following error message :
Signal "SIGSEGV": Segmentation violation signal

The machine being fingered runs linux 1.2.11 and the fingering machine runs

Any clue to this problem posted to this newsgroup or mailed to

will be highly appreciated.
        Sincerely,
        Durga P. Choudhury
N.B. Both the machines are PC AT architecture, with 486 DX processors

2. Busmice

3. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

4. grub / lilo question

5. Debuging Segmentation Violation Fault

6. Can't locate module

7. segmentation violation in ncurses

8. HACMP, system crash when creating shared LV on shared disk

9. PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation ...

10. segmentation violation

11. JDK 1.1.1 - segmentation violation

12. lpsfilt - Segmentation Violation

13. BUG: segmentation violation?