Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition

Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition

Post by Hylton Raymond Peim » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 16:19:26

I am trying to install Linux from the "Toolkit for Linux" CD-ROM. Since
I have been unable to mount my cd-rom with yet I have tried to install
disk set A from my DOS partition.

So I have
               C:\SLACKWAR\A\ <-- a whole lot of directories here.

When I boot Linux and run "setup" (swap partition etc. is prepared)
and I try to INSTALL the files:

   the source partition is: /dev/hda1

   the source directory is: /slackwar

The following error occurs:

 WARNING

     Can't find a disk series a in the source directory

 Skipping it.

Please help! Email me at the address below.
--

1. Help: Cannot access DOS partition after installing 2.0 & new LILO

Hi,

Yesterday I installed kernel 2.0 and LILO 19. The installation is successful,
and I can boot my new kernel. However, it destroyed the superblock of one of
my DOS/Win95 partition. Here is my configuration:

        /dev/hda1:      C:, Windows 95 Driver Space 3 Compressed
                        Before compression, ~800M.
        /dev/hda2:      D:, no compression, ~250M.
        /dev/hdb1:      Swap for Linux, ~20M
        /dev/hdb2:      Linux native (everything for Linux), ~400M.

I can mount /dev/hda2 and access the files there, but mounting /dev/hda1
gives the error message like "incorrect fs type or bad superblock". Since
/dev/hda1 is also the bootable for DOS, LILO is unable to boot to DOS also.

When I try dosfsck on /dev/hda1, it says it only supports 2 FATs, but /dev/hda1
has 194 FATs.

When I try fdisk on /dev/hda, partition 1 is still there with correct blcok
size and id, also, with a * to indicate it is bootable.

I don't want to lose my data on /dev/hda1, could anybody give any hints on
how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Jinan Lou

2. Solaris at queues

3. Installing Slackware to DOS Partition

4. SYSV IPC via the shell?

5. Can I install Slackware from my dos partition?

6. tip bug

7. Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

8. version info for libpthread.so

9. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

10. installing slackware 3.1 from partition to another partition?

11. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

12. Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

13. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files