Viewing TeX fonts

Post by Craig Kawaha » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 12:02:07

Are there any programs out there that will let me preview what a TeX
or*font looks like without making a document that bascially
contains them all?  I'd like to just sit there and stare at a bunch of
them one after another so I know which ones I want to dump...

Craig

--
                ...it's hard work being this bored...

Viewing TeX fonts

Post by Michal Jaegerma » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 14:40:10

: Are there any programs out there that will let me preview what a TeX
: or*font looks like

LaTeX is just a set of TeX macros, so there is no difference between
fonts for them.  And yes, there is program.  It is called TeX.

Try this:

   tex testfont

and respond for a few questions which will show up on your screen.
Print results and enjoy.

On Unix systems it is normally possible to feed answers from stdin
redirected from a file, if you plan to do that in bulk.

   Michal

Viewing TeX fonts

Post by jim heffer » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 22:45:02

Most TeX and*fonts are actually different-sized versions of the
same font.  That is, there are separate 10 point, 12 point, etc., files
for, say, roman (what TeX calls `cmr').  If the question is: ``I've got
this huge---and numerous---collection of font files, and don't think
I need them all, how can I cut it down?''  Then the best answer I know of
is to (i) set TeX up to auto-create font files when it runs across
a document that has them (this means keeping Metafont and the font source
code around so there is some cost here), and (ii) delete all the font
files.

Now the first few documents will take quite a while, as TeX will need to
create all the fonts in those documents.  But I'm told that experience
shows a 1/3 to 1/2 reduction in font files will be the result.

I hope that is helpful.

Viewing TeX fonts

Post by Prakash Kaila » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 01:30:25

> : Are there any programs out there that will let me preview what a TeX
> : or*font looks like
>*is just a set of TeX macros, so there is no difference between
> fonts for them.  And yes, there is program.  It is called TeX.
> Try this:
>    tex testfont
> and respond for a few questions which will show up on your screen.
> Print results and enjoy.
> On Unix systems it is normally possible to feed answers from stdin
> redirected from a file, if you plan to do that in bulk.
>    Michal

I tried this command on some of the fonts I have. The dvi files created
show the font table for some of them, but the outout is empty (except
for the line which says:

Test of <whatever font> on <date>

For example, I have a font with three variations: tel20, tel20b (the
bold version) and tel20s (the slanted version). When I ran "tex testfont"
on each of them, I got only the font table for tel20s.

Can this be explained?

Thanks for your time,
Prakash Kailasa

--
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| V. Prakash Kailasa           | Microkernel Design and Development   |

| Boca Raton, FL 33431         | #include <std_disclaimer.h>          |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

1. Creating X fonts from TEX fonts

I would like to create some fonts for X using the Metafont source of
some fonts used in the Lilypond
project.  I have looked around and not found any information on how to
do this.

Can anyone help?

Adam

--
Adam Tee
Postgraduate Research Student

2. sendmail and DNS probs on Solaris2.5

3. How to view *.tex files ?

4. HELP: can i use sz/rz with tip??

5. TeX viewing without xdvi??

6. Basic DMZ routing/subnet question

7. How to view *.tex files ?

8. US-NJ-Unix/C developer needed

9. Viewing TeX documents with Netscape browser

10. Help, how can i view .dvi, .tex, amd .ms files !!

11. TeX viewing without X

12. Running TeX to view LPG docs ?

13. Tex - How do I view