Little help, please (Samba sharing)

Little help, please (Samba sharing)

Post by Rob Kro » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 06:02:53



Before you consider replying to this message, please consider:
1. This message is crossposted to Linux and Windows newsgroups. I'm not
entirely sure where my problem lies, because I have already checked all of
my documentation and configurations, and simply can't find a problem.
2. I know what the Penguin-people think about Windows.
3. I know what the Windows-people think about Linux.
4. I'm not interested in hearing the aforementionned opinions. I have my
reasons for setting up as I have, and have no intention of changing my
network just to suit somebody's "uniform network" policy.

I am having a problem with a Samba mounted share on a Linux system. Using a
TCP/IP network, I'm able to access the SMB share, and serve web pages from
it just fine.

The problem, though, is that when I try to mount the share, I get an access
error reported from the IP address of the NT server. It mounts anyway.

Then, periodically, I get an SMB Retry message on the web server, setting a
new generation for the SMB connection. Around the 10th generation (This
varies. Sometimes as little as 3rd generation, sometimes as much as 36th
generation) the connection dies. The client is unable to access the server
until I reboot.

I'm reasonably sure the problem lies on the Client, but have been unable to
find the problem, and have to consider that the problem could be some
obscure policy set on the Server.

So that you know:
Other PC's on the system, all Windows-based, have no problem accessing the
SMB share, and are occasionally left on for as long as the client. It is
this that leads me to be almost certain that the problem is the client.

The client:
AMD K6-II-450. 96MB RAM.
Running RedHat Linux 6.2. Kernel 2.2.17. (I have 2.2.18 downloaded, and can
install it.)
Functioning as Web server and internet gateway.
I'm mounting the server using:
"smbmount //192.168.x.x/wwwroot /wwwroot -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx"
I've also tried adding the ip=192.168.x.x, but it didn't make a difference.
The SMB conf is using the right interface, I've made sure of that.
Other pages served off the webserver are fine, even when the SMB link dies.

The server:
'486 DX/6 120. 32MB RAM.
Running Windows NT4, SP4. All other patches have been applied.
Functioning as POP3, SMTP, PROXY, and File server. (Proxy is practically
unused recently, but it is still there.)

The systems have 2 hubs between them, but that will change to 1 as soon as
I get off my duff and move the gateway back to the server room.

I have another Linux box, functioning as DHCP/DNS server. If need be, I can
put the SMB share for the webserver on it.

TIA for any insight you can offer.
-Rob Kroll
rkroll <at) ottawa (dot> com     ;effing spammers.
The e-mail in the reply-to/posting message, while valid, gets checked about
once a month. If you choose to reply via mail, please send to the above
jumbled addy. Thanks.

 
 
 

Little help, please (Samba sharing)

Post by patrick.thempe » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:01:52




Quote:> Before you consider replying to this message, please consider:
> 1. This message is crossposted to Linux and Windows newsgroups. I'm
not
> entirely sure where my problem lies, because I have already checked
all of
> my documentation and configurations, and simply can't find a problem.
> 2. I know what the Penguin-people think about Windows.
> 3. I know what the Windows-people think about Linux.
> 4. I'm not interested in hearing the aforementionned opinions. I have
my
> reasons for setting up as I have, and have no intention of changing my
> network just to suit somebody's "uniform network" policy.

> I am having a problem with a Samba mounted share on a Linux system.
Using a
> TCP/IP network, I'm able to access the SMB share, and serve web pages
from
> it just fine.

> The problem, though, is that when I try to mount the share, I get an
access
> error reported from the IP address of the NT server.

would be interesting what the error message is.

It mounts anyway.

Quote:

> Then, periodically, I get an SMB Retry message on the web server,
setting a
> new generation for the SMB connection.

this is a common behaviour. if a connection is 'idle' for a while, it

sort of goes 'on hold' and is reestablished when needed.
you see that when using the command 'net use' in a dosbox on either
win9x or nt.
i'm not really sure if this is disconnect from the server or the client
side.
there might even be a parameter to 'keep alive' longer than usual.

Around the 10th generation
(This

Quote:> varies. Sometimes as little as 3rd generation, sometimes as much as
36th
> generation) the connection dies. The client is unable to access the
server
> until I reboot.

reboot what? client or server?

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> I'm reasonably sure the problem lies on the Client, but have been
unable to
> find the problem, and have to consider that the problem could be some
> obscure policy set on the Server.

> So that you know:
> Other PC's on the system, all Windows-based, have no problem accessing
the
> SMB share, and are occasionally left on for as long as the client. It
is
> this that leads me to be almost certain that the problem is the
client.

> The client:
> AMD K6-II-450. 96MB RAM.
> Running RedHat Linux 6.2. Kernel 2.2.17. (I have 2.2.18 downloaded,
and can
> install it.)
> Functioning as Web server and internet gateway.
> I'm mounting the server using:
> "smbmount //192.168.x.x/wwwroot /wwwroot -o

username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx"

Quote:> I've also tried adding the ip=192.168.x.x, but it didn't make a
difference.
> The SMB conf is using the right interface, I've made sure of that.

your smb.conf has no say in this.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> Other pages served off the webserver are fine, even when the SMB link
dies.

> The server:
> '486 DX/6 120. 32MB RAM.
> Running Windows NT4, SP4. All other patches have been applied.
> Functioning as POP3, SMTP, PROXY, and File server. (Proxy is
practically
> unused recently, but it is still there.)

> The systems have 2 hubs between them, but that will change to 1 as
soon as
> I get off my duff and move the gateway back to the server room.

> I have another Linux box, functioning as DHCP/DNS server. If need be,
I can
> put the SMB share for the webserver on it.

sorry not too much help,
maybe see if you find any background info on the smb-protocol
either from m$ side, or from the samba.org guys.
--
kungfuzious says:
to learn from yugoslavia is to learn
howto respect the vote of the people.
the big roundeye across the big sea should meditate on this.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

 
 
 

1. Problem writing to Samba share, please help

I can see my share from a Win 2k box just fine but when I go to save any
file, in this case test.txt to the share I get the following error appearing
on my Win 2k client:

e:\text.txt
you do not have permission to open this file
see owner of this file or an administrator to obtain permission.

How can I fix this problem? I'm using Red Hat 7.2 and the latest version of
Webmin.

Thank You Very Much!

2. vmalloc/ioremap race fix.

3. Please help with Samba printer share

4. Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+

5. Problems writing to Samba share, please help

6. seeking GNU dbm modules

7. HELP!! A little help please..scripting.

8. vmtune parameters ?

9. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

10. samba printing, need a little help..

11. A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

12. Almost Samba, need a little help

13. AmiVIs+Sendmail+Sophos - Need a little help please with sendmail.cf for ..