How to change permissions on a dos mounted drive

How to change permissions on a dos mounted drive

Post by Daniel C Glas » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 07:09:26

Hello,
  I wanted to make my DOS disk unreadable by everyone but root.  The
setup program mounted the drive and gave it default permissions and I
have tried to change them with chmod to no avail.  Is there another
way to do this?

Thanks,

Dan

Post by Joanna Y » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 08:14:25

: Hello,
:   I wanted to make my DOS disk unreadable by everyone but root.  The
: setup program mounted the drive and gave it default permissions and I
: have tried to change them with chmod to no avail.  Is there another
: way to do this?
D'you try mounting with the  -o umask=077 uid=0 option?

-Joanna
----------
Jo Yun                 To every thing there is a season, and a

Post by Tomi Leppikang » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 16:56:26

:   I wanted to make my DOS disk unreadable by everyone but root.  The
: setup program mounted the drive and gave it default permissions and I
: have tried to change them with chmod to no avail.  Is there another
: way to do this?

Put line to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1        /dos     msdos       uid=0,gid=0,umask=77

or mount it with:

mount -t msdos -o uid=0,gid=0,umask=77 /dev/hda1 /dos

--

##        http://phoenix.oulu.fi/~tomilepp        ##

1. Unable to change permissions on mounted DOS partition?

Hi,

Currently I dual-boot NT and RH6. I mount my two FAT partitions (C and D
drives under NT) as /dosc and /dosd.

I have been trying to play with WINE, and in setting this up I wanted to
give write access to the windows temp directory (/dosc/temp under Linux) but
I can't seem to do it.

I have tried both using su to switch to the root user and logging in again
as root + the following commands from the /dosc directory:

chmod a+w temp
chmod 777 temp   // I was just trying to get any access there for the time
being
chmod o+w temp

none of them have any effect. It appears that even the root user can't
change any permitions on my FAT partitions. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Regards,

James

2. rm*.* parameter list too long

3. permissions on mounted dos drives

4. learning dbx/adb &c, good books?

5. Cant change permissions on mounted Fat32 drive?

6. Best Window Manager for Linux Laptop?

7. Change permission on a mounted usb drive?

8. Naming problem

9. Changing modes on mounted DOS drives

10. Double or drive spaced Dos drives Is there a mount type for these

11. Can other than root have write permission on mounted DOS part'n?

12. Permissions for DOS mounted on /dosc

13. Changing DOS permission