Kernel Panic 3:01

Post by tlync » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 04:45:08

I recompiled the kernel.  That process went ok, but locks up the PC when I
try to use it.

In order to troubleshoot, I put the kernel on a disk and booted using that.
I got the error

I can still boot through lilo (using the original kernel) so I'm not dead in
the water.  But if anyone can help me get this new kernel working I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,

-tl

Kernel Panic 3:01

Post by tlync » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:18:56

compile a.out and ELF as part of the kernel, not as modules.

-tl

Quote:> I recompiled the kernel.  That process went ok, but locks up the PC when I
> try to use it.

> In order to troubleshoot, I put the kernel on a disk and booted using
that.
> I got the error

> I can still boot through lilo (using the original kernel) so I'm not dead
in
> the water.  But if anyone can help me get this new kernel working I would
> appreciate it.

> Thanks,

> -tl

Kernel Panic 3:01

Post by 5isio » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:08:48

        The following was helpful to me and it seems to pertain to your issue,
although it is in response to a kernel panic of 03:02.  Still relevent though.
/dev/hda2 vs /dev/hda1.  Cheers.

 03:02 is the

Quote:> kernel's internal name for the device otherwise known as /dev/hda2. The 3
> uniquely identifies the IDE disk block driver. This is known as the ``major
> number''. And the 2 is interpreted by the driver as a designator of the second
> partition on the primary drive. This is known as the ``minor number''.

> When the kernel is in its early booting stages, there is no mounted filesystem
> yet, which means that the ability to refer to devices by handy names like
> /dev/hda2 isn't yet available. Thus the kernel uses the low-level means to
> locate the ``root FS''---the filesystem that will provide the essential root
> directory.

> The question is, why is your kernel not finding a filesystem at the second
> partition of your primary drive?

> One possibility is that the kernel is mistaken. Perhaps there is no filesystem
> at 03:02; the root filesystem is in some other partition. Luckily, if you are
> using LILO, you can pass a command line parameter to the kernel to tell it to
> look for the root partition elsewhere. The command line parameter looks like
> "root=/dev/hda1". After you boot successfully, you can use the "rdev"
> utility to deposit correct the information in the kernel image so that it will
> look in the right place by itself the next time you boot it.

> Another possibility is that the IDE device driver known by the major number
> 3 simply isn't in the kernel.

> Have you done anything to the floppy disk lately, like put a new kernel on it?
> We can rule out the above causes if you haven't tampered with the floppy.
> Secondly, has your system crashed or exhibited erratic behavior? Did you ever
> see, on the console, panics or error messages related to your hard disk?

> It could be that your /dev/hda2 is toast and you need to recover from backups.
> Or worse; the drive may have failed. But let's not jump to conclusions until we
> know that it's not something silly, like the kernel looking at the wrong
> partition.

> I recompiled the kernel.  That process went ok, but locks up the PC when
> I try to use it.

> In order to troubleshoot, I put the kernel on a disk and booted using
> that. I got the error

> I can still boot through lilo (using the original kernel) so I'm not
> dead in the water.  But if anyone can help me get this new kernel
> working I would appreciate it.

> Thanks,

> -tl

1. Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong? Someone
told me I may have to do something with rdev and making a patch to the
new kernel with boot partition. I don't know what that means, but it
sounds like something I should try. Someone else told me to do something
with 'mkinitd'. I really need some more details, these vague
suggestions, while they are appreciated, are not really helping me.

Keith

2. New FAQ list - comments requested

3. DOS filesystem: kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 03:01

4. Backup Software for SUN Stacker

5. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

6. SMC Elite32C Ultra

7. Kernel panic : VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

8. Mod_Perl 1.99-08 install error

9. Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

10. Cant book "VFS: cannot mount parition error 3:01" blah!

11. Warning: dev (03:01) tty->count(2) != #fd's(1) in do_tty_hangup ??

12. VFS: Wrong blocksize on device 03:01

13. VFS: cannot open root device 03:01