X-windows Questions

Post by Bernard Anders » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 00:54:51

I just have a few questions about X-windows.
(I have installed the Slackware Prof. 2.1)
When I execute 'startx' it brings me to the motif windows manager. I believe
that it is running under R6 of XFree86.  What I would like to do is have it
start the Openwindows manager (olwm).  How ?  When I run the olwm from within
the motif winmgr it loads fine but has no programs listed in the workspace
menu.  I can however run openwin which loads olvwm but using R5.

Also, when I start and exit X one time the normal text screen is fine.  When
I run openwin again and exit the screen is all screwy and I have to reboot to
fix it.  What might be causeing this (I am useing a Diamond Speedstar 64 PCI but
it does have one of the supported Cirrus Chipsets).

Lastly, do all X programs work under Linux and/or XFree ?

Thank you very much!

--

X-windows Questions

Post by David M. Com » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 11:48:55

Type "openwin". THat does it for me. I'm using TA, Q4, 1994

: I just have a few questions about X-windows.
: (I have installed the Slackware Prof. 2.1)
: When I execute 'startx' it brings me to the motif windows manager. I believe
: that it is running under R6 of XFree86.  What I would like to do is have it
: start the Openwindows manager (olwm).  How ?  When I run the olwm from within
: the motif winmgr it loads fine but has no programs listed in the workspace
: menu.  I can however run openwin which loads olvwm but using R5.

: Also, when I start and exit X one time the normal text screen is fine.  When
: I run openwin again and exit the screen is all screwy and I have to reboot to
: fix it.  What might be causeing this (I am useing a Diamond Speedstar 64 PCI but
: it does have one of the supported Cirrus Chipsets).

: Lastly, do all X programs work under Linux and/or XFree ?

: Thank you very much!

: --

:

1. X-Windows Questions/HTTP Server Question

New to Linux/Unix,

When I installed Linux Red Hat 5.2, checked the option to setup the
X-Windows Server. I did not get any errors during or after the install. When
I try to start X-Windows it dumps a bunch of information to the screen and
some error information.

My questions are:

1) Where can I find information regarding the errors so I can track the
problem down.

2) Is there a Linux or other free/cheap X-Windows package that I can run in
Windows 98/NT to connect to and start an X-Windows session on my Linux box?
My Linux box is on my local network which has been tested and is working
fine.

3) Regarding the web server in Linux, I have it running, I tried to create a
simple test page on my Windows PC and copy it to the server but it won't
run. Do I need to do a conversion on the file to handle the linefeed/cr
differences between Linus and Windows?

Any help or pointers to info that will be greatly appreciated.

2. NIS problem

3. X-Windows Question

4. Help needed - Install I/O error

5. vi Cut & Paste in X-Windows Question

6. Large files to floppies: pkgtrans ?

7. x-windows question

8. X-server for S3trio64V2?

9. Connecticut Linux/X-Windows Questions???

10. X-windows question

11. DEC Alpha and PMAX X-Windows questions

12. X-Windows Question