A couple of questions about NFS..(Printing from DOS)

A couple of questions about NFS..(Printing from DOS)

Post by Stephen Davie » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 19:39:39

If the code running on the DOS machine supports printer mounting and
you are running PCNFSD V2 or NFSAD or BWNFSAD on your Linux machine,
it is very simple to do what you want to do.

Using your example names and my Wollongong PC TCP/IP + NFS, I enter:

mount lpt3: \\healey\/phlaser [username password] (where username and password
are only necessary if I have not previously "logged in").

What happens when a print job for LPT3 comes along is that the print file
is transferred from DOS/Windows to the PCNFSD spool directory under Linux
and then an LPR print to the nominated printer is started by PCNFSD.

There is a "funny" in either the Wollongong code or PCNFSD (or both) which
makes the SECOND name in /etc/printcap work better than the first.

Personally, I prefer to use LPR-based printer redirection rather than NFS.

Steve.

Adelaide, South Australia.                           Voice: 61-8-2728863
Computing & Network solutions.                       Fax  : 61-8-2741015

A couple of questions about NFS..(Printing from DOS)

Post by R.S.Thom » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 02:06:14

My problem is that the server is a unix machine set up to be
accessed by dos machines and I want to access it from a linux machine.
I'm now in the fortunate position that I now have access to the
manuals and, as someone said on irc (thanks anarchy), the
printing is done by copying the file to a spool directory on the
server then an rpc call is commited which kicks lpd into printing
the thing.

As soon as I find out what the rpc call is, I will attempt to write
a prog that can be run as a printer filter which will do just
this and then I will have made my own contribution to the linux
project.

Still havent figured out logging in yet. But I'll give you a
shout when I do.

Rich

P.S. yes, I know it would be easier to be in /etc/hosts.lpd or
whatever. Well, it would be but for the network admin.

1. couple of questions (well, more than a couple)

Hello, I have a few questions relating to Linux.

First off, i have a linux kernel version 1.0.9, and i would like to upgrade.
Is there a HOWTO out there describing how to do this, and where to get
patches to upgrade the kernel?  If not, could someone email me some
ftp addresses and some instructions?

Next, I connect to my SLIP account using dip.  Think is, dip dials
my modem using pulse tone.  Its not really a problem, but i was
wondering if theres a way to make it dial using touch tone.

And finally (for now :) I've heard of a new version of linux coming
out with some kind of xwindows thingy that allows you to run
MS windows apps in X.  Last I heard it was in alpha phase.  Has it
gotten out of alpha testing, and if so, does anybody know where
i can get it? (ftp or mail order software house)

Thanks.

--Tommy Vielkanowitz

2. How to pass variables to a function ran with SIGNAL (unix sysV)

3. A couple NFS questions...

4. HELP!!! Compaq Netflex 3/p card

5. A couple of questions about NFS..

6. Where do I find the dial-in part of LinuxConf?

7. Linux as DOS fileserver? (NFS on DOS?)

8. Java desktop: Failed to execute child process .. (and other questions)

9. ARMnote question & another couple of questions..

10. NFS && dos question

11. Fixes for a couple of DOS-EMU problems

12. 2 questions NFS printing / remote backup

13. NFS Printing question