How to automatically mount samba shares?

How to automatically mount samba shares?

Post by Barry Schwart » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 13:17:42

I have RH 7.1 running on a WIndows NT 4 Domain. Samba is running on that
machine.

How can I set up my machine to boot and run smbmount to run my various
shares? What file will load and execute after the samba server has already
started up?

(I already understand the smbmount command line, so you won't have to coach
me on that.)

How to automatically mount samba shares?

Post by dilliga » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:04:25

I have this in my /etc/fstab:
//machinename/sharename /mnt/mountname smbfs  auto,rw,password=sharepassword
0 0

Quote:> I have RH 7.1 running on a WIndows NT 4 Domain. Samba is running on that
> machine.

> How can I set up my machine to boot and run smbmount to run my various
> shares? What file will load and execute after the samba server has already
> started up?

> (I already understand the smbmount command line, so you won't have to
coach
> me on that.)

How to automatically mount samba shares?

Post by dilliga » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:06:17

Oops, forgot.  I am using Mandrake 8.0 if there is a diff.

Also, it broke that into 2 lines.  The 0 0 goes at the end of the single
line.

Quote:> I have this in my /etc/fstab:
> //machinename/sharename /mnt/mountname smbfs

auto,rw,password=sharepassword
> 0 0

> > I have RH 7.1 running on a WIndows NT 4 Domain. Samba is running on that
> > machine.

> > How can I set up my machine to boot and run smbmount to run my various
> > shares? What file will load and execute after the samba server has
already
> > started up?

> > (I already understand the smbmount command line, so you won't have to
> coach
> > me on that.)

1. Automatically Mounting Samba Shares

How can I get Shared folders that are on my Win-98 machines to mount
automatically on my Linux box?

My current Linux project is running SuSe 6.1, and my preferred desktop
environment at the moment is KDE.  I checked out KDE Explorer, and noticed
an icon marked "Remote_Computer".  I right click on it and select Connect
New Device, which brings up a Device Properties window.  And this is where
I get stuck.

What do I need to set at this point in order to access a shared drive?
There are no help files for this older version of KDE, just a "Sorry, not
implemented yet." message.

Essentially, what I am trying to accomplish is, mounting the MEDIA drive
that is on one of my Win-98 systems, for access to a collection of images,
sounds, and music files without having to just copy them over to the Linux
system.

Samba is operational.  From the command prompt, I can access shared
resources using smbclient just fine.  But to me, that's only useful (at
this time) for copying files over.  I need this drive permenently mounted
and accessible as if it was a part of the Linux box.

Thanks.

-- Scarletdown
(Spamfoil in place.  Lift MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

2. Mustek 1200SP

3. Can samba automatically mount an NT shared drive?

4. make seems broken after GCC Upgrade

5. Is there anyway to make samba automatically mount a share??

6. Help with X install on RedHat 3.0.3

7. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

8. Hard Drive installation problem

9. Samba mounting automatically

10. Automatically mounting smb shares . . .

11. how to make an nfs share not mount automatically at boot ?

12. Automatically mounting a samba drive at boot - how?

13. Mounting NT shares from Linux automatically...